help with computer build ... been out of the game to long

Looking at getting a cheaper motherboard ... like I said I've been out of the game for a while trying to get the hang if it ... hell I didn't know they had 6gbs and pci e3.0 haha ... this will be for christmas when I get my xmas bonus

what MOBO would you pick maxim? out of curiosity

and for an SSD, i picked up an intel one. i read they tend to have shorter lifespans and intels seem to be the most reliable out of the bunch, so i grabbed one of those. we'll see how it does eventually

and for an SSD, i picked up an intel one. i read they tend to have shorter lifespans and intels seem to be the most reliable out of the bunch, so i grabbed one of those. we'll see how it does eventually

For a Sandy Bridge chip (assuming he wants to stay with ASUS) then this would be the board I'd recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792&name=Intel-Motherboards

$60 cheaper than the Z77 Sabertooth ($85 if you include the rebate)

Same number of phases for the CPU VRM (same level of overclocking support)

I doubt he needs 4 SATA 6GB/s ports (HDD's won't even saturate SATA 3GB/s and he's not using 3 SSD's)

All USB 3.0 ports support UASP for faster file transfers than standard USB 3.0 (only 2 on the back panel of the Z77 Sabertooth support UASP)

Still supports 2 cards in SLI or CFX

Still supports PCI 3.0 if he upgrades to an Ivy Bridge chip later on

The "Thermal Armor" looks cool and all but doesn't actually do much to remove heat. Many reviews will actually show that it actually does a great job of trapping heat instead, especially around your CPU VRM's, which can lower overclocking headroom.

And I'd absolutely agree with you on the Intel SSD choice. Intel's developed a proven track record for the reliability and performance of their SSD's. Samsung's also a great choice if you're looking for a slightly cheaper option. Their 830 Series has been at great sale prices for the last month or so as they rolled out their newer lineup.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

I can also vouch for the ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Performance, if you don't want to go with Z68. IIRC, Z68 only had some sort of caching feature for SSD+HDD rigs? I don't know exactly, it's been a while. And at a $100 it's definitely a nice board. Never had any problem.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I can also vouch for the ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Performance, if you don't want to go with Z68. IIRC, Z68 only had some sort of caching feature for SSD+HDD rigs? I don't know exactly, it's been a while. And at a $100 it's definitely a nice board. Never had any problem.

Out of the 67/68 series, Z68 was the only one that had the SSD+HDD write caching. It also allows both the onboard graphics and overclocking. I haven't messed with the caching feature on my GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 yet.

P67 has no onboard graphics support, but allows you to overclock, whereas the H67 has onboard graphics support, but no ability to overclock.

The 75/77 series, the Z75 doesn't have caching, the Z77 does have caching, and the H77 has caching but no overclock.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

For a Sandy Bridge chip (assuming he wants to stay with ASUS) then this would be the board I'd recommend: http://www.newegg.co...el-Motherboards

$60 cheaper than the Z77 Sabertooth ($85 if you include the rebate)

Same number of phases for the CPU VRM (same level of overclocking support)

I doubt he needs 4 SATA 6GB/s ports (HDD's won't even saturate SATA 3GB/s and he's not using 3 SSD's)

All USB 3.0 ports support UASP for faster file transfers than standard USB 3.0 (only 2 on the back panel of the Z77 Sabertooth support UASP)

Still supports 2 cards in SLI or CFX

Still supports PCI 3.0 if he upgrades to an Ivy Bridge chip later on

The "Thermal Armor" looks cool and all but doesn't actually do much to remove heat. Many reviews will actually show that it actually does a great job of trapping heat instead, especially around your CPU VRM's, which can lower overclocking headroom.

And I'd absolutely agree with you on the Intel SSD choice. Intel's developed a proven track record for the reliability and performance of their SSD's. Samsung's also a great choice if you're looking for a slightly cheaper option. Their 830 Series has been at great sale prices for the last month or so as they rolled out their newer lineup.

always curious to see your inputs. so much technical bits too. i have my eye on the same mobo, but was also curious about the heat since it covers all the internals from airflow.

I'm sure nobody is reading this anymore.... but don't go with Nvidia OP

check the charts on the 7XXX series now that the new drivers have been released

Spoiler alert- 10-30% fps gains in most games, beating out nvidia in terms of power

Oh, forgot to mention, ATI doesn't exist anymore

2005 VW Jetta TDIStock headunit(2) Sundown Audio E-15s @ 35hzPower Acoustik BAMF 1250.2 (will be replaced with Cadence mono)GTMat 50mil Sound Dampener

http://natsurutech.blogspot.com/

I'm sure nobody is reading this anymore.... but don't go with Nvidia OP

check the charts on the 7XXX series now that the new drivers have been released

Spoiler alert- 10-30% fps gains in most games, beating out nvidia in terms of power

Oh, forgot to mention, ATI doesn't exist anymore

I don't know what benchmarks you read but the numbers are more like 5-10% gains. Nowhere near 30%.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Catalyst_12.11_Performance/

After the driver update, the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition seems to definitively be the top card now (with the exception of a few specific games). Even Battlefield 3. which has always favored Nvidia's architecture, performs better on AMD cards at every price point.

With that said, I'd still recommend a "standard" 7970 over a GHz edition. The 7970's can be easily overclocked to the same speeds of the GHz editions, even from within the AMD drivers using their built-in OverDrive feature. Plus the "standard" edition cards cost $50+ less than GHz edition cards (more money in your pocket or more money to upgrade other parts). Something like ASUS's 7970 DCII will perform as well as any other card and stay cool and silent while doing it.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Archived