Second Skin Audio

box tuning question

ddlvr630

so i have a L ported box with the port on the left side tuned to 38hz. i want to tune it lower. would i be able to bolt a piece of mdf to the far inside of the port and it tune it right without any harm?

2004 cavalier 2 door 5 speedalpine cda-103skar pax 6.5s

power acoustik D1-6000power acoustic 4-2600soundquest 1/0 throughoutDC XL M2 18 walledstock altbig 3 donestock battery under hood, 1400cca 400ah semi battery in the trunk

You could do that. But as Torres said, you would lose some of your box volume, which would be fighting the longer port.

You could also shim the port down, but you would lose port area

hmm ok. my box is just a little bigger than what the subs call for so maybe it'll work out

power acoustik D1-6000power acoustic 4-2600soundquest 1/0 throughoutDC XL M2 18 walledstock altbig 3 donestock battery under hood, 1400cca 400ah semi battery in the trunk

Don't just add on to the port length because as you make is longer you're making the box smaller, which requires a longer port for a lower tuning...it basically takes a lot of added length to change the tuning, but then you're killing your efficiency by making the box so much smaller. If you have an over-sized port opening, then I'd try making the port skinnier while maintining the same length.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Don't just add on to the port length because as you make is longer you're making the box smaller, which requires a longer port for a lower tuning...it basically takes a lot of added length to change the tuning, but then you're killing your efficiency by making the box so much smaller. If you have an over-sized port opening, then I'd try making the port skinnier while maintining the same length.

yes thats what i was talking about. not make it longer, but skinnier

Archived