Help me make a decision, please.

Which Option?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which options would you do first?

• A - New SSD
    • B - Touchscreen Monitor
    • C - Upgrade Video Card
    • D - Gaming Laptop

Alright guys, I'm turning to my various forums to decide what I want to do next, computer wise.

Here are my options.

A - Buy a new SSD for my desktop.

I currently have an 80GB Intel 320 series as my boot drive. I will be buying a 256GB Samsung 840 Series (Release date is 11/06) to replace it. The Intel will then go into an HP netbook that died a while ago due to a hard drive failure.

Total cost: $270-$340

B - Purchase a touchscreen monitor.

I am going to be installing Windows 8 Pro on my desktop on release date, and would like a touchscreen monitor so that I can take full advantage of it. I realize that at the moment, the touch portion of Win8 is more a of a novelty thing, but I still would love to have it. If I do this one, I will be buying an Acer T232HL 23" monitor.

Total cost: $500-$550

C - Upgrade my video card.

I currently have an EVGA 550TI 2GB. When I upgrade, I will be going to either a GTX 660 Ti, GTX 670 or GTX 680.

Total cost: $300-$500

D - Buy a gaming laptop.

My current laptop is growing older by the minute. I currently use it for some gaming, but it can't quite keep up.With an NVIDIA 425M and an Intel 740QM, it's definitely time to upgrade. I would like to have something that keep up with desktops, so I can take it to LAN parties instead of lugging my entire desktop there. I will be buying an expandable laptop, meaning I can upgrade the video card, processor, and so on.

Total cost: $1000+

I eventually want to do all of these, but I can't do them all right now. If you were in my shoes, which of these would you tackle first?

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

• 2 weeks later...

A: that is way to much for a SSD

B: fuck windows 8

C: you better make sure you are atleast using a 800+ watt PSU to power a 600 series

D: IF you buy a gaming laptop, go with either any of the MSI ones, or the Razer blade, but its really expensive, do NOT buy alienware.

I just bought the Samsung 256gb 840 from newegg for $169.00. Running real fast. Small and light as hell. I cant wait for 1tb SSD to come down to a good price range because I run a media server and these things take up so little space. I could put 12 SSD where my 6 standared 3.5" drives are.

My copy of Windows 8 should be here today to and I am going to dual boot Win7 and Win 8.

• 2 weeks later...

A: that is way to much for a SSD

B: fuck windows 8

C: you better make sure you are atleast using a 800+ watt PSU to power a 600 series

D: IF you buy a gaming laptop, go with either any of the MSI ones, or the Razer blade, but its really expensive, do NOT buy alienware.

A) LOL

B) LOL

C) LOL

D) Yes, fuck Alienware. Razer = yes, MSI = LOL

For being a brand new SSD, those prices are not crazy.

I use Windows 8 on both my laptops, my desktop, and my work PC. There is nothing wrong with it, I quite like it.

You do not need 800W for a 600 series. A 690 MAYBE, but 660 TI, 670, and 670 all function fine on lower PSUs. We run 680s all day on full stress on 700W PSUs that aren't even 80+ certified. My 750W at home is 80+ Gold, and I 100% believe it will handle a 690 with no problems.

Anyway, I know what I'm doing at this point.

I'm getting a Lenovo Yoga 13 laptop/convertible, and then buying a 680 for my desktop.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

• 2 weeks later...

MSI=lol?

I've got an MSI gt70 it's actually better then the Razor blade. Razer you overpay because of the brand just like Alienware.

the gaming laptops that are worth taking a look at are Xbook and MSI(Razer is good but to expensive for what you get).

What's nice about Xbook is that you can select the hardware that you want to have in it.

So I've you want the an i7 Ivy-bridge instead of a i5 you just select that option.

I just bought the Samsung 256gb 840 from newegg for $169.00. Running real fast. Small and light as hell. I cant wait for 1tb SSD to come down to a good price range because I run a media server and these things take up so little space. I could put 12 SSD where my 6 standared 3.5" drives are.

My copy of Windows 8 should be here today to and I am going to dual boot Win7 and Win 8.

Why not just use laptop drives?

I'm running a ocz 650 with a gtx 680 4g, i7 2700, asrock mb, 2 br drives, 2 ssd drives, with no power issue at all. However when I had 2 gtx 560 ti's in sli I couldn't boot. Not even enough power to get a post.

If you're feeling DOWN & OUT, it's time to get UP & IN

Archived