Router noob! I need help!

Okay I finally want to invest in a router to make cutting speaker holes easier and to be able to add some nice finishing touches to my boxes and to be able to round edges. I am a complete noob when it comes to routers so I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. I know there is fixed base and plunge but don't know what I need. I'm not sure what bit you would use to cut the hole. I know there is some kind of circle cutting jig that I would be interested in getting as well but don't know where to get it. Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I was looking at a skil manufacturer refurbished 1 3/4 HP fixed base router for $50 off of Skils website. Also would I need to invest in a router table? Thanks in advance!

http://www.amazon.co...rds=Skil Router

thats what i use, you can get them for less than that link though. And you can get a box of bits for it for like $50 which will have most of what you will ever need.

you may also want to get one of these

http://www.jaspertools.com/

very handy for cutting perfect circles.

There are lots of decent plunge routers for less than $100 bucks for the weekend builder. if you are serious about doing tons of projects spend the money and get a porter cable router but they cost lots of money.

edit:

i should add that you will want a 1/4 square cut bit when you buy your set of bits, and maybe a 1/4 rounded tip bit, and various roundover bits. Roundover bits get expensive the bigger they get, fair warning.

It's nice to have 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1" square cut bits for making recessed speaker rings but it can be done with just the 1/4" and several cuts.

Thank you for the info! What circle jig should I be looking at though? There were like 6 different ones lol. And yeah I'm not gonna be using the router a ton so just looking for something to get the job done

http://www.amazon.co...ords=jasper jig

that is the one i bought. Give me a sec and i will link to a speaker ring i made with it.

edit..

ok, technically i used a homemade jasper jig for these, but it is the same concept. The one i llinked is very easy to use and fits tons of routers.

000_0035-1.jpg

personally I wouldn't go with skil.....they've failed me before to the point where I won't buy them anymore, but since you only spent 46 bucks on it, its not that bad. You don't necessarily need a router table, but to do a little more intricate things (flush trimming, designs, etc) you might want to use one. The jaspers usually just range in the diameter circles you want to cut.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Stop by your local Home Depot or possibly Lowes too. I know Home Depot for sure cuz I work there and personal experience though.

But when there's slow selling models or certain models are getting replaced the display items get sold extremely cheap.

I got me a Rigid router for like $30 and all it was missing was the collets. I think I paid another $15 or so to get a replacement so with approximately $45 I got a fixed base/plunge base combo unit that was around or above $300.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

Well turns out the site I ordered that skil router from doesn't have them in stock. I was just looking for something cheap to get the job done and I came across a new Lowes line called "Blue Hawk" I got the plunge router with the table for $90 and some change after taxes. Now I know you get what you pay for but I'm hoping

This is decent enough to round some corners for me and cut the hole when I get to that. Now, since this is my first time EVER using a router, it's time to do some learning lol

Archived