Second Skin Audio

Port Length?

Fi_all_d_way

• 4 weeks later...

here is where i learned about end correction

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=165

think about it logically for a second.....if you have a slot port that uses part of a box wall as a port wall then wouldnt you think it would be longer, in theory?... as quoted from that link "(remember, the driver can't "see" the length of the port, it can only go by what it "feels" is going on). "....so by using a box wall as a port wall, you are effectively lengthing the port by half of the ports width, not reducing it...im not sure what they other guy is thinking...?

i likes me some audio stuff...

amatt is an expert on boxes trust him bro hes right

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

bro a guy told me i need to minus not plus....can you tell me what is correct ...thanks bro

if ur refering to me thats not what i said:

1) when u use one of the sides of the enclosure the sub "sees" or "thinks" the port is longer since one side extends beyond the other port wall. this lowers ur tune frequency slightly. so if it says 3wide x 25l, the actual length the sub sees is around 26.5, so you dont need to add onto the 25, you just need to understand that the end correction with a slot port slightly lowers the tune freq. if you want 35hz, and it says on bassbox to make it 25, then you could theoretically make ur port 23.5 and it would be tuned to 35hz actually, instead of the length [from bassbox] of 25 which [would yeild a port length of 26.5]might yield 1-1.5 hz lower tuning

so as i said, i wasnt telling you to change the physical length of the inner port wall or the total port length, i said that when using a slot port the effective length of the port is longer than what most "box programs" will measure because of the end correction factor. thus if you are trying to squeeze every cuft out of an enclsoure, you could shorten the total port length by the length of the end correction factor and it would yeild the bassbox's tuning, because bassbox (i think) assumes that 30" means 30", not 30" + an end correction

and im far from an expert, and im not as good with boxes as amatt, but i understand ecf

i.e. when i make my slot ported boxes and lets say one needs to be tuned to 32hz, i will build it to 33hz knowing it is actually tuned lower

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived