Sonic Electronix

Should I go ported or 4th order? Help me decide...

I was trying to get out of audio for a while but I couldnt help myself with the black friday sales and bought 2 10" AQ SDC2.5s and an APSM1500 for the cheapz.

Vehicle is a 98 Grand Cherokee plenty of cargo space for either box which are about the same size footprint actually.

I was going to do subs up, port back, 3 cubes net single 6" aero tuned to 34-36hz.

But then I get to looking at more youtube videos and thinking about a 4th order 1 cube sealed, 3 ported single 6" aero tuned to around 45hz.

I have wanted to try a 4th order for a long time but not sure if it would be worth it or not in my suv. I love lows so maybe the 4th would be good for me but wanted some input from you guys.

Give me your 2cents.

I think if you just want something you can build once and stick with for a long time, go with the ported box. If you're open to a lot of testing and tweaking, a fourth order would be fun project.

I also may be completely wrong about this as I've never built a fourth order myself, but you might want something more than just a single 6 inch aero for the fourth order. Most fourth orders I've seen tend to have pretty large ports. But again, I could be way off on that.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

A 4th would sound great and be a blast to build if you enjoy building boxes and testing. That's one of my favorite parts of car audio, the build. Looking at the T/S of that sub, it'd work decent in a 4th so you can go either way and I'm sure you'll like it.

E34 540iT/6

I say try a 4th. If you've only done ported and you were pulled back into the hobby you may as well try something new. You might like it.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

Archived