Sonic Electronix

Fridgerator To Keep Amps Cool?

someone i knew on another forum did this or was going to do this. he only signs on AIM every once and a while, so i havent got to ask him about it yet, but i remember him saying he was going to use a mini fridge (not the whole thing, but like take it apart or something) and use it to keep the cargo of his explorer cool (walled off, so it was just the small area in the back sealed off) to keep all his amps running cool.

has anyone ever thought of this or if it would work or anything? im just curious.

i think it'd work. you're just basically making the 'cargo' area a mini fridge. take the pump and coil and everything and mount it in the back. convert power in order to power it on and keep it nice and cool. not a bad idea imo. i used to do hvac work, and you can find all sizes of units to do this. and wire a lil thermostat up front to control it :)

now consider this, your running a car audio system thats pulling how many amps from your alt thats producing how many amps? Then you want to add a mini fridge componant that needs how many more amps to run and a converter......is it really worth it? Now my burb had second and third row cooling so with it walled off ( i still had about 3 inches from the top of the box to the headliner) I could run my a/c on high in the rear and keep the amps and shit real cool. oh yeah and what if a line was to burst and spray that shit everywhere!!!! bad news man....

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

now consider this, your running a car audio system thats pulling how many amps from your alt thats producing how many amps? Then you want to add a mini fridge componant that needs how many more amps to run and a converter......is it really worth it? Now my burb had second and third row cooling so with it walled off ( i still had about 3 inches from the top of the box to the headliner) I could run my a/c on high in the rear and keep the amps and shit real cool. oh yeah and what if a line was to burst and spray that shit everywhere!!!! bad news man....

and you think your a/c compressor in a suburban with the rear air ON, and on high, doesnt draw the same amount of current as a mini fridge would? i know mine does in the mini cooper and i only got 4 vents up front.

True but that was only between runs at comps with the stereo shut off. My fosgates never got real hot even in the summer from daily beating

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Archived