put in an HO alternator and now my car wont run right

hello everyone, i have a 2002 mitsubishi lancer. i am about to be majorly upgrading my sound system so i got a high output alternator. yesterday i installed it and ran 1/0 gauge to the battery from it (my first step in doing the big 3).

i had 3 wires coming off the pos battery terminal so i unhooked them one by one until i found the one that gave power to the old alternator wire. that wire is now disconnected.

ok, so now the problem. i start my car and my engine runs smooth for a second and then gradually starts shaking back and forth and starts making a knocking sound and gets worse and worse until it stalls.(no engine codes come up)

i do not understand how the alternator change caused this!!!!!! i had to remove the serpintine belt and alternator belt to replace the alternator but that's all i did. those belts are tight and seem good now. and no i never touched the timing belt.

i am so frustrated and confused and i cant even drive to a mechanic now... i am hoping someone else has had this happen and can throw some light on this situation. my luck has been at an all time low for the past few months and i am sick of getting problems with everything i do...

the old alternator wire is very small. i was just scared to try and push 180 amps through it. i guess i will go reconnect it and and throw a piece of 1/0 gauge from the neg on the battery to the frame to see if it helps.

Thanks guys

Batt may be shit and cause a load. That little wire is most likely just a charge wire. I don't think adding it back will help. Try starting the car and removing the POS of the batt and if your problems are solved get a new batt!

1998 Subaru Forester S

DC 7.5K And DC 175.4

270XP DC Alternator

One XS 5100R

Three XS Power XP3000

All XS Power Wire

Two SMD 18's

I ONLY POUND BLOCKS AND PUSSY

i just reinstalled the wire and ran a temporary ground. the problem got a little better at first but now is worse.

just for clarification, my battery voltage is at 12.2 right now and the voltage is 14.7 with the car running. the car starts but my idle is really low and the engine jumps around a lot.

K,.. i was hoping it was like my car. The stock charge lead doesnt go directly to from bat to alt. Removing it caused all sorts of head aches for me.

Is the alt plug secure ? Plugged in tight as tight? All the connection good stuff ok?

12.2, your bat may be toast..... EDIT

Oh boy. Good luck with everything man. I'm about to put in my Singer Alt this weekend after I get a shorter belt for it. I've never swap alts before so hopefully we figure out what is causing your craziness so I can avoid doing the same :(

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

all the plugs are secure and good.

and 12.2 is pretty good for my battery. the highest it ever is is 12.3 and i can bump with 700w continuous for over a half an hour before dropping to 11.9. i do have a brand new kinetik hc2400 waiting to go in my trunk so maybe i will charge that up for a minute and connect it via jumper cables to check and see if that helps.

Archived