Singer Alternator - Install with pics - Clamp Test Results for DC5K and Singer Alt

i had a singer alt that would make power at normal operating rpm but at idle it was a complete turd. May i ask what your charging voltage is at idle. My car idled high at like 1000-1100 and the alt still wouldnt turn on. Seems to be an on going problem. I came in here thinking oh god "this black thing" and "this big water house" scared the shit out of me lol. Im glad you actually had a set of nuts to do it yourself. Grats on a good install i hope you get your alt issue fixed!

Charging voltage is at 14.2V front and back battery. Thanks for asking because I checked with my volt meter and found out that my Stinger Digital Meter needs to be recalibrate; it was .2V higher than what my DMM read.

I was only able to do this install properly because I had great guidance from Mike Singer and the members on SMD. I'm not a mechanic and don't know crap about cars except how to change the oil and add wire runs.I am a bit surprise I was able to swap the alt :)

I guess all those jobs that required following toolset work instructions really helped build my ability to do things.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Take your dmm and touch the leads together and see if there is any resistance. Then touch the leads directly and not the push terminals. Subtract the first number from the second number and you have your ohm load. Let me know what it says.

http://youtu.be/5U29afy6hF0

Video shows 0.2 but I did it again and got 0.1ohm resistance for my leads.
I went and checked my final ohm reading at the speaker inputs going into the DC5K and it read 0.8ohms to 0.9ohms
So 0.8ohm - 0.1 ohm = 0.7ohm

So this confirms my subs are indeed dual 0.7 voice coils.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

http://youtu.be/5U29afy6hF0

Video shows 0.2 but I did it again and got 0.1ohm resistance for my leads.

I went and checked my final ohm reading at the speaker inputs going into the DC5K and it read 0.8ohms to 0.9ohms

So 0.8ohm - 0.1 ohm = 0.7ohm

So this confirms my subs are indeed dual 0.7 voice coils.

Take your dmm and touch the leads together and see if there is any resistance. Then touch the leads directly and not the push terminals. Subtract the first number from the second number and you have your ohm load. Let me know what it says.

Read the directions and try again. He's asking you to check the resistance at the Voice Coil leads; not at the amp input.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

I'm just going to assume they are dual 0.7 voice coil subs for now. The subs take about 30-40 minutes for me to take out of the sub box (and put back in).

I'm going to be switching the setup to rear fire eventually and adding in the yellow top (if I find room) so I'll re-check the sub voice coils then. I do remember checking the sub voice coils when I first got them and they were ~0.7ohms.

For now I'm just going to reset the gains for proper power output (I'm most likely going to lower the gain) and work on getting my Singer Alt idle output higher.I probably clipped the shit out of the amp when I was clamping the alt at the gains that I have right now.

I think I did the clamp test wrong on the DC5K; I clamped the power wires of the amp and not my positive speaker wire for the AC current.

Are you checking the ohm load with the subs still wired up in the box? How many subs are wired together and how are they wired if so?

Yeah the 0.7 to 0.8 is checking the final ohm load with all of the subs wired in the box. I didn't know you were asking me to check the individual voice coils on the subs.

I wired them like this with the assumption of everything being 1 ohm instead of 2 ohm.

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.png

If it says .7, then thats what they are. I am talking to Jeff now and seeing if he can find your invoice. Its nothing to worry about, I am just curious.

I found my invoice on my paypal account and it says: DC m2 xl12D1

But I know the subs are 0.7 dual voice coils because I checked it like 3 times when I first got the subs.

Archived