Singer Alternator - Install with pics - Clamp Test Results for DC5K and Singer Alt

Update:

Singer Alt Clamp Test results here:

http://www.stevemead...s/#entry2275879

Modifications will be made to try to increase idled output to specifications.

Video of my Singer Alternator at idle

http://youtu.be/Y-TvkfWTWMk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am starting the install for the 200A Singer Alternator.

I think there are 3 bolts that need to be removed? Maybe 4 if you look at the last picture I have question marks on the bolt in question?

Just for future reference for the stock camry alt:

the bolt that connects the alt and bracket together is a 14mm bolt.

The block bolt and tensioner bolt are 12mm bolts.

I am using these youtube videos to help me through the alternator swap process:

singeralt-1.jpg

singeralt-2.jpg

singeralt-3.jpg

craftsman-pro-clamp-meter.jpg

gatesbelt.jpg

I will be adding an additional ground probably from the front battery negative to the alt with my cheap DIYMA cable.

diyma-cable.jpg

Now for the pictures of the bolts that I need to remove....

(Pics are stock alt and belts)

stockbeltroute.jpg

Tensioner Bolt:

tensionerbolt-view1.jpg

tensionerbolt-the3.jpg

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

As for adding the extra ground wire from the alt to the battery negative, would it be safe to add it to that bolt right here where the bracket is that's holding the alt in place? Or is it too close to the spinning belt?

stockbeltroute.jpg

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

alt mount location looks almost identical to my old corollas. the "Block thing" is a lock down bolt, which prevents the tensioner bolt from backing itself out. you have to loosen the pivot bolt slightly (the one directly next to the belt with pink paint on it). then all you have to do is slightly loosen the lock down bolt, and back out the tensioner bolt ALL the way (its like 4-5" long). then after the tensioner bolt is removed, fully remove the pivot bolt. the lock down bolt should still be attached to the small block of metal that the tensioner and lock down bolt went into.

alt mount location looks almost identical to my old corollas. the "Block thing" is a lock down bolt, which prevents the tensioner bolt from backing itself out. you have to loosen the pivot bolt slightly (the one directly next to the belt with pink paint on it). then all you have to do is slightly loosen the lock down bolt, and back out the tensioner bolt ALL the way (its like 4-5" long). then after the tensioner bolt is removed, fully remove the pivot bolt. the lock down bolt should still be attached to the small block of metal that the tensioner and lock down bolt went into.

Thanks. Gonna go do it now.

I'm having trouble removing that rubber piece thing that connects to the alternator. How do you remove it without breaking it?

It's that connection below the positive connection.

Archived