Just blowed up two amps in 2 1/2 weeks!

So I got a good deal (yeah right...) on a couple Diamond D3 amps, one 1kW and the other was a 600.1. The 1kW worked for a couple weeks then one morning, when I started my jeep, I heard a POP, and then smelled electrical. I disco'd the power wires and fuse because the subs werent working. A day later I replaced that amp with the 600.1 and it actually sounded better than the 1000.1! Prolly because the 1000.1 was always on its way out. So the 600.1 was working fine, sounding fine. I didnt start my jeep for a couple days and when I went to start it, it wouldnt crank, battery died. It shouldve been fine, its a good batt and never had an issue. Well, I go check the amps, and the 600.1's power LED is on, even though the key is out of the igntn. Huh, strange. So it seems like something went haywire internally. I could not get the battery to fully charge with the amp hooked up, and when I disco'd the power wires and fuses on this one, the battery charged, and the jeep runs fine again. Luckily I didnt fry a cell on the batt.

These amps may have come from a system where the amps were mounted on the box, and the vibration prolly shook things up in there. I opened the 1000.1 and saw that an amp IC was fried as well as a couple of resistors and small caps. Oh well, live and learn.

And btw, the wiring is ALL good, power wiring, grounds, sub wiring etc etc. No issues there. I am 100% sure its the amps, as I had other amps in there for a long time. This is just an off topic rant.

So anyone interested in purchasing two D3 amps for repair? cheap cheap!

forgot to mention, gains were set correctly using DMM. However, being that these amps put out more bass than was required, I turned them down a tad so they matched better with my McIntosh amp. Just a tad mind you, not all the down extreme. Other amps that I had hooked up did fine, I just wanted to see what these D3 amps would sound like, hearing good things from them. They do sound great and I have no complaints about the quality.

I'll let you in on a little inside info: After I bought these amps from X, I read in a post on a forum about another person who bought the same 1000.1 amp, and his failed within a month. No reason, he stated. I shrugged it off as his own poor installation/tuning. Well, here are mine, both with issues, and my system is clean and tuned correctly. Part of it was professionally installed also. I built my first stereo system in 1984, with Pyle comps, separate amps, etc. Of course back then I didnt know anything about how to set the gains properly, but I never had an issue like this, ever. And since that time I've installed soooooo many systems in my cars, other peoples' cars, etc etc. Never an issue like this. I know its the amps, they were prolly abused before I got them.

I set all my amps with a DMM, then turn down if necessary to match better the front end. These amps were in no way overdriven, they never got hot!

DMM's aren't the "correct" way I guess. But they suffice, I set the gains on all my amps with a DMM. Everything stays cool and my sub never stinks. I think he used the gain as a volume knob.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

KyLar96 - yeah you kinda sound like a rentamod, I'm not so interested in selling these things, more interested in a rant. but thanks, yeah I know of the FS area.

Kranny - yeah I know, the Oscope is much more accurate. But for my system, with one sub amp, a DMM is close enough. and besides, if you read the entire posts, I mention that I turn the amp gain down a bit, which will help it. Not too much to strain the amp, but just a tad. After all, music really isnt a straight voltage, its got its peaks and valleys, and even an Oscope will not compensate for everything. Hope you understand, its not a competition vehicle with multiple amps....

Raptorman - how can you say that I used the gain as a volume knob? did you not read the posts? seriously. well, nevermind.

Just because you used a DMM doesn't mean shit really... You can still get the math wrong and you can use the wrong tones. Just like people blowing up amps and blaming the DD-1..

I have hands on with diamond amps and they take a shit load of abuse. I've mounted a few amps on boxes without any issues.

I can tell you have a know it all attitude so I don't know what you're looking for here? Sympathy? Guidance?

If you blow two amps back to back, in usually boils down to user error...

Archived