Can a bad power wire cause bad voltage drops at the amp?

So quick question, can an alt go bad after years of use, mine being 15 years old?

Though at the meantime, I'll save up for a second battery, get power wire since I need some for my highs amp anyways, and see what happens. I'll take it easier on the electrical, don't need to play full tilt often anyways, happy with lower volumes for now.

Thanks for the advice guys

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Where did you get the power source from for the volt meter? On those, the B+ cable that goes from the battery to the fuse box corrodes badly at the fuse box. Its four 10g wires in a loom going from the batt to the fusebox. On yours, its the cable with the wingnut on the positve terminal, and also appears to be stock/factory.

Voltmeter is reading and powered from the amp. It's a simple red and black wire voltmeter with the switch on the red wire to turn the voltmeter on and off

I sanded down the fuse box cable, and soldered it to a ring terminal cause I broke the tip when trying to drill a bigger hole on it.

When I did the Big 5

I did

Bat - to frame

Bat - to alt frame

Bat - to engine block

Bat + to starter solenoid to Alt + (stocking wiring was like that with the stock 4 gauge wire)

Bat + to Alt + directly (advised by Mike Singer to do)

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Pull the cover off and look at the copper in the cable. see if it is corroded. If so replace it. This will also cause other electrical issues in your car, trust me

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

What cover?

Though I did sand sand down the corrosion off till I saw bare clean copper, then soldered it in my ring terminal. Everything in the car works, all the lights, and switches work, all the fuses are in good shape, and not blown. Only thing that doesn't work is the speedometer but that's a different problem on its own.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

its your alt. so start saving for a h.o alt. but also its good to charge your battery every now and then so try to get a charger soon. i suggest charging your battery at a low amperage for a day or two and that should help, upgrading your 4 gauge power wire to 1/0 will also help out.

2000 Dodge Durango

Subs - (2) SKAR VVX 15 D2's

Box - 7.2 ft^3 @ 33hz, 120 in of port

Sub amp - Digital Designs M2 @ .5 ohm

Mids + Highs - PRV Audio

Mids + Highs amp - Hifonics 2000.4

Headunit - Alpine CDE-100

Equalizer - Clarion EQS746

Batteries - Mopar group 27 + (2) C&D 52ah

Wiring - 1/0 BIG 3, (2) runs 1/0

Alternator - Singer 250A

147.79 dB @ 35hz - burp - sealed on dash

147.47 dB @ 35hz - music - sealed on dash

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/321slapinBass/videos

SKAR_468x60.jpgDD-1.jpg

its your alt. so start saving for a h.o alt. but also its good to charge your battery every now and then so try to get a charger soon. i suggest charging your battery at a low amperage for a day or two and that should help, upgrading your 4 gauge power wire to 1/0 will also help out.

Gonna start saving for the 260 amp Singer alt I want

1/0 gauge won't fit lol but I'll upgrade to AT ofc 4 gauge, which is alot better than Cadence

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

I do have this laying around, Dogfret gave it to me, since he told me he used to drive the same car as me, except it's a T5

476373_583172735032983_496093039_o.jpg

How mine sits

288127_583172778366312_1438130017_o.jpg

620919_583172835032973_1985992506_o.jpg

Should I just swap it out, or leave it be, and take it easy till I get my HO alt?

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

the longer u have been beating on it the better chance that its going

i think most advance auto parts do free alternator testing

if u plan on getting those 15's and aq2200 soon then hold out for the singer alternator

otherwise a simple alternator replacement should be enough for the amp your running

i would def try that extra alt u have if it fits

why not? looks like a good car audio fix

**actin bad like a kid at six flags**

Archived