DC Sound Lab

Lvl 3 12.. sealed?? Opinions

This is just going to be a simple test box.. I was having a few issues with one of the coils on my other lvl 3 and am just going to take it out for now, because its making the whole system sound like crap.. I know they perform better in ported, but my current box is around 3 cf net, which isnt going to work either.. So If I do a simple 15x15x15 sealed just for the time being I will have 1.26 cf net after displacement.. @ 2 ohms my AQ1200 claims 870 @ 14 volts, so Im guessing it will Be around 700rms "real world"?

Ive never build a sealed box so never really cared, but how does bigger ( say 1.5 cf ) vs smaller ( .75 ) affect the sound as opposed to the manufacturers "suggestion" of 1.0 cf?

Yea I might be surprised as well!! Just not expecting much.. Just a temp box til I can get a recone done.. I would actually like a single lvl 3 or 4 15... Just something that sounds clean and plays the lows well..

But thats for another day.. On to this.. Will a little larger sealed enclosure be OK for this on 700 or so rms? I keep reading alot of ppl are going with slightly larger than suggested sealed enclosures , but they dont state why or what the benefits are

1.26 will be fine, and I wouldnt be surprised at all if it surprises you. The LVL 3s are fairly linear, so I bet you get a nice bandwidth sealed. Generally, a larger box will allow better low end extension. I also think that sealed box's being quiet are overstated. Certainly not as loud as a well built ported box, but i have ran single sealed 12 setups in the past on 1k that did plenty well enough.

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP