What frequency for Mid's and Highs's with multimeter?

pintich

You can set mids and highs pretty easily by ear - it's super easy to hear clipping at 1kHz. At least for me. I can hear clipping before the dd-1 picks it up.

Play a 1kHz -0 or -3db track and turn the gain up until you hear it clip, then back off until it sounds clean.

The dd-1 finds the max gain setting not the max your speakers will take

Am I missing something? I was talking about gain setting, not how much speakers can handle lol

he's basically saying your speakers are distorting becayse they cannot handle it but the amp can put out more power cleanly than the speakers can handle if that makes sense

Still not sure what that had to do with my comment about setting it by ear, but whatever. Now I'm just confused lol

You can set mids and highs pretty easily by ear - it's super easy to hear clipping at 1kHz. At least for me. I can hear clipping before the dd-1 picks it up.

Play a 1kHz -0 or -3db track and turn the gain up until you hear it clip, then back off until it sounds clean.

Am I missing something? I was talking about gain setting, not how much speakers can handle lol

he's basically saying your speakers are distorting becayse they cannot handle it but the amp can put out more power cleanly than the speakers can handle if that makes sense

Still not sure what that had to do with my comment about setting it by ear, but whatever. Now I'm just confused lol

yeah basically youre hearing distortion because the speakers cannot handle it

DD-1 picks up distortion at the amp, not after a signal hits the speakers.

Example: Amp DD-1'd at 200RMS

Speakers distort at 150RMS.

so you're ear's will pick up the distortion before the DD-1 in this case because the speakers cannot handle all 200RMS even if the power is clean.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

yeah basically youre hearing distortion because the speakers cannot handle it

DD-1 picks up distortion at the amp, not after a signal hits the speakers.

Example: Amp DD-1'd at 200RMS

Speakers distort at 150RMS.

so you're ear's will pick up the distortion before the DD-1 in this case because the speakers cannot handle all 200RMS even if the power is clean.

While I understand what you are saying, that wasn't what I was talking about. I can hear clipping come on a split second before the dd-1 does. It's not even a measurable amount of difference on the gain knob it's that minute. My point is I believe the difference in accuracy between a dd-1/oscope and ear in OPs case will be negligable, and will be more effective than a DMM since you can hear what's going on.

You can push your amp into clipping and the AC voltage will still continue to rise. You can hear that if you do it by ear/dd-1/scope. Not so much with a multi meter

• 1 month later...

i use too use dmm but after i got my bigger amp i had too do by ear becouse otherwise subs would be blown from over powering them, dd-1 are good for getting that max power out of amplifiers before distortion comes, but lots of guys got subs that can handle way more then what amps put out so dd-1 good for that but for some with amps that put out more power then what speakers are reccomended for they gotta do it by ear and tweak

----------- no more blazer-------------

New ride 2000 s10 ext cab xtreme zq8 v4a

4.3 jba headers,pcm4less tuned,nv3500 5spd,8.5" diff,ported/polished heads

makes good daily driver not a racecar lol

system:

pioneer 7200hd deck,kenwood kfc708 with jl xd400.4

stinger 2gauge wire

mtx thunder 1501d

custom built box myself ported 3.13 slot port 40hz (2) 10" re audio sexv2d2- may do sxx upgrade soon after tune the sex first

kicker 4x6 cs dash.

Archived