Sundown Audio

mb onx4.80 clipping too low

john253a

just finished a budget install

i mean real tight budget install,

ive used the older mb stuff (10/11 range) but not the new onx ones to drive subs

used the onx4.80 twice before but only on speakers

the install is 1 set 7x10 kenwood on rear deck and a kicker comp15 in a kicker ported box svc 4ohm

all set with dd1,

and as normal -5 for the mid and -10 for the sub

mid work and sound powerful and loud on there 80rms each

much louder then the comp15 on 320rms @4ohm, bridged

i found the clipping on the dd1 to start before i even got 1/4 gain on -10

where as -5 on mids was close to half

h/u clips at 40hz -0db at 46/52 and mids 43/52 (4v pre out)

so im using 42/52

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the same amp bridged

ive tried switching sub from 3/4ch to 1/2 ch and same thing there,

even if i test the mids with the 40hz track (witch ive never done before) the gain need to go down

First off, I'd suggest 0db for mids and -5db for subs.

Second, using a multi-channel amp bridged for a sub sucks balls. Speaking from experience.

Using the -10db track for subs, I guarantee you are clipped to hell on most modern hip-hop/rap tracks.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Where your gain is pointing doemst matter

40 hz and 1000hz are different to obviously youll se gains on different positions

Have you tried doing all 4 channels with the same tone and see if they come close?

Also the do you have bass volume control on your headunit?

But I don't see really see anything wrong

Just be carfull with your bass(since you use the -10db) just cquse you tuned witha dd-1 doesnt mean you'll be able to max on every song

i use the -10 and -5 mid with all my installs

ive also used this sub before on a zx350.4 (175rms bridged) and its twice as loud in the same car

70% of installs done down here are sub/front or sub/rear on same amp, or a 5ch is use, unless there big bass heads, witch theres not many due to the price

not to manny want to drop the coin for 2 or 3 amps when we dont get budget/entry level equipment, or even the prices you do

the mb ony4.80 is a $590au $600-610us amp in aust, so you get a comparison of what we pay for stuff

First off, I'd suggest 0db for mids and -5db for subs.

Second, using a multi-channel amp bridged for a sub sucks balls. Speaking from experience.

Using the -10db track for subs, I guarantee you are clipped to hell on most modern hip-hop/rap tracks.

i agree with the multi ch. i dont like either, nore do i run mine like that

on -0 for mids the h/u is louder on its 18rms of out put

i test the leads with a y-adaptor and thats where i get the volume of 42 out of 52, set at with flat eq

then i check it through the amp on all 4ch and i clip at 43 with no gain, and at 42 i turn like nothing and it clip

i havent checked the high level output on the h/u

the main resion im asking is because i dont believe the quality is there on that brand of amp, and i want to see if anyone else as noticed it or did i just get a bad one.

if it was where it should be volume wise for that setup there would be no issues,

and i understand that the position of the gain nob means little to nothing

im getting the car back on the weekend, so ill clamp it on the -10 where i set it at see if im getting the anything close to the quoted 320rms @4ohm

witch it should be,

even my shitty kicker ex15 (in kicker box) on 150rms (kx300.4) is louder then this (work car so what i had lying around)

Archived