Second Skin Audio

review my box before i build

knubs

alright, well i'm about to build a box for my DC xl 15". i have used torres to calculate everything but i am a little unsure if i built it right in sketchup. in torres it says "physical port length: 21.75" but the actual port length is 27". i just don't understand how the physical port length is so much different than actual port length? either way, i built the box in sketchup and the physical port length is 21.75"

the port has 16 cross sectional inches of area per cubic foot

box1555_zpsa3aa2352.jpg

torres

box155_zpsa81b7b2a.jpg

a top view

box15555_zpsbee180b4.jpg

so do you guys think; does the box i built in sketchup match everything in torres? and how does the box design in general look?

Thanks!

oh, and this will be going in the trunk of my mitsubishi lancer...i know it would be better to have the sub facing backwards rather than up, but any box taller than 14" won't fit through the opening in my trunk.

Aim the sub frontwards or backwards not upwards, you will need 16.5" to do that, it will be louder that way AND trunk lid rattling will be reduced drastically. You can make the box wider and not as deep and see if it fits.

If it doesn't fit and you don't want to build inside the trunk then just move the sub as far as you can from the internal end of the port and do a double baffle and top to bottom crossbraces.

well about 14 1/2" is the max that will fit and i don't have much more side room(a few inches). i do plan on doubling up the sides and the baffle to make it 1.5" thick though. think that should take care of bracing? only thing i won't have doubled is the bottom.

how does the box look though? everything look good? bottom is 27" x 27"

yup. the box will be 1.5" thick everywhere except the bottom. that should take care of any potential flexing right?

Ahh, I thought i saw .75 in the specs. Your prefect with 1.5 man. Good luck w/box

Tuned for box build pics!

Archived