Sundown Audio

Loose Ground? Problem!

moegej

so i recently had my burnt alt overhauled at a trusted tractor repair shop in my town. and after i installed it my lights dim just as much as they did before i had it overhauled. it makes no sense.

heres my dilema. when i first start my car it seemed fine. when i turned onto my highway i played " strange clouds" and when the higher bass notes hit my radio would just shut off..and reset and turn on. it does this until i turn it down a few levels like from 36 to 28. at around 28 it would quit doing that. but when lower notes would play like on "no hands" it wouldnt cut out at all. even on level 36

but after like 15 minutes of driving on the highway my radio wouldnt cut out at all. not on "strange clouds" or any other bass song with higher notes. i tested the voltage on my front battery with my car running and it was at 15.3 with no music playing. tested my back battery and it was at the same voltage..if not a little higher, again with no music playing.

when i installed my alt after i got it fixed i actually pulled 2 ring terminals off my grounds at the battery for my big 3 on accident. so i had to take the big 3 grounds completely off and re crimp them. i think it has to do with it being so damn cold here in south dakota in winter. they just pulled right out. did i not hook them back up right again? my radio never did this before i took my alt off. are my grounds loose somewhere else? on the other ends of my grounds maybe?

im just completely puzzled..if anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks a bunch for reading this dudes...

06 v6 Mustangbig 3Mechman 270 Hybrid G2 interstate batteriesBC3500 wired at 12 Sundown x-10 D4's

to me, the most deff. sounds like a ground problem....i may be wrong but i dont see why the alt. would cause that. i would go over every ground or even re-ground you headunit to your firewall...

you think grounding the head unit would be necessary? tonight i will go over all grounds again. see what happens

06 v6 Mustangbig 3Mechman 270 Hybrid G2 interstate batteriesBC3500 wired at 12 Sundown x-10 D4's

What are you using to crimp the ring terminal? If you are trying to crimp 1/0 with a vice or some type of pliers, that is not very good. That is not a strong connection. You need to get a hydraulic crimper or solder 1/0 to get best results.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

i used the vice in our shop..i tightened that thing down pretty damn hard..but how bout a hydraulic shop press? i have one of those. would that work good? i crimped my 1/0 the same way both times and it didnt do this before. as i said before. this is a new development

a hydraulic crimper or sodering isn't necessary, it's just recommended. You can use a vice or a pair of big ass vise grips and they will sub vise. My advice would be check out your grounds behind your deck, maybe a loose wire back there or something?

-playing with different setups

nope. there just regular acid batteries. so that is a possibility. but this morning when i started my car i hit the source button on my deck to go from the usb connection to the radio and it thumped through my subs. hit it again and it thumped again. it does this everytime i hit my source button. the deck is a sony 740ui. might there be something wrong with my deck? i have not checked the wires behind it yet. i plan on doing that tonight. i also noticed that when i turn the volume all the way down it thumps when it gets to zero. turn it up to vol 1 and it thumps. go to vol 2 and it thumps again. but after vol 2 it doesnt thump when turning up the volume. wtf?

today i figured out that it only does this when my amp is on. i took my deck out and grounded it again. that helped for like 10 minutes then it started again. when i turn my amp off it doesnt act up at all.

• 4 weeks later...

today i heard that at low volume like at 1 or 2 i can hear a higher hz sweep. its not loud but i can hear it and it goes crazy from like higher hz to low hz and all over. and its only coming from the from the front 8" factory subs in my front doors. i havent listened to see if its coming from my 12 in the trunk though. wtf?!

Archived