Sonic Electronix

Cost of power - then and now. (watts on the dollar)

I've been out of car audio for 20 yrs and just getting back into it. (as you can see by my post count) When I started seeing the prices of amps compared to 20 some odd years ago, my first thought was they were making cheap junk and using the name to make a buck.

I remember that Orion amp!! My first fun sub build was an Orion 12" in a 4th order box. We had a little 175 watt HiFonics Cyclops amp on it and man did it pound! I'm about to use a Hifonics Gemini VII 4 X 50 (NIB) that I was paid with when the guy I was working for went out of business. Back then it was around $400 for that amp!

Awesome post!

If it's too loud, you're too old. At least that's what I tell my kids when they tell me to turn it down.

I remember back in the day wanting to pick up a small Phoenix Gold amp to power a cpl punch 12's, back before we had teh interwebz. Went to Sound station and security where they had a dedicated room for their PG stuff. $600-800 bucks for a cpl hundred watt 2ch amp lol. Needless to say i never owned a PG amp :D

Kenwood KIV-701
Crescendo BC2000D
DC Audio lvl3 w/ lvl4 upgrade, 18''
6ft^3 @ 27hz
MBquart ONX 4.125
(2) PWX 6.5

(2) PWX 8
(2) FT1
300amp Singer with VCM @14.5
Optima YT & D1200
My Build Log
dcsig.jpg

every company has their niche market. hifonics has successfully captured the average ignorant teenage boy.

Dont trip.. Ive never won anything in my life. Spite a 10lb cock and a bucket of balls at birth,......
Yeah.. like i said, nothing in my life. :shrug: meh, im cool with it, fuck it.

lol made me do the math too... the AQ 2200 I'm tryina get comes out to like $.18 a watt lol

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

So if amps now cost 1/10 of what they did 20 years ago in another 20 years they will be $.01 a watt, I could get used to that lol $50 for 5000w

you can get 500 watts for $50, Lanzar, Pyle, rockwood, soundstorm, boss...

look again buddy... he said 5kw :P

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

I have had a lot of amps in my time and the specs never told the true story.

PG M25 12.5 wattsx 2 stable into any inductive reactive load.

US Amps VLX-400 200x2 at 4 ohms 44" long and 4 8ga power feeds stable to 1 ohm

US Amps VLX-200 100x2 at 4 ohms same as above with different rail voltage but rated stable to 1/2 ohm

Autotek 333 165.5x2 at 4 ohms stable to 1

PPI A1200

PPI Pro-Mos 425

Hifonics Series VII Colosuss Aphrodite, boltar and Zues

Lanzar Opti50c

I dont think any one of those amps was much below $1000 and the rated power was usually under 500 watts and many were under 100.

It was because I could run 3 Autotek 333, and still be under 1000 watts total system power.

4 M25 in under 100 watt class etc.

Edited by mike fallon

Lets say a crescendo BC3500 retails at 680 last time i checked.
0.17\W
LOL!
Thats dirt cheap!
I dont think you can go cheaper without compromising quality really bad

00' Volvo S40 T4 MT :)
Front stage: 4 Morel Virtus midbass drivers - 2 Seas 27TDFC Tweeters

Subs: 2 Elemental Designs 13A.v2's
Amps: Celestra FA2150 + FA275
Mono: Crescendo BC3500D
Wiring: Shok Industries Competition Series OFC 10
DIYMA RCA's
Canare 10AWG Speaker wire
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

I remember looking at the 2100HCCA on the demo board at my local shop. Right next to the "surfboard" USAmps 4 foot long monster. The price was: if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Turns out that same shop was where USAmps started building amps, true story.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

0015.JPG

Since we're talking dollar per watt, 1 watt 2 channel amp, rated at 4 ohms, stable to something ungodly like 0.000625 ohms. THE cheater amp, around $2000/watt.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

one of my friends from way back posted these pics on his facebook page and i thought it was a pretty interesting topic to bring up here. I see people complaining about "brand X" being too expensive and how they are such a rip off because "brand Y" makes a much cheaper amp.

Anyway, nowadays, some of these amps are in the 40 - 50 cents per watt range and people STILL bitching about pricing.

Well let me tell you how it USED TO BE. You saw an amp behind the glass case at your local shop and you WEREN'T getting it. Period. LOL.

the math on that ^^^ is about $8.50 - $8.75 per watt. HOLY SHIT you say....well we said that too :D

I personally run T2500.1bd cp amps that MSRP @ $1599.99 and they all have birthsheets over 3300 watts RMS. That is $.048 cents a watt. AT FULL MSRP. Nobody pays that. Lets say you find my amp for $999.99. A RACK for an amp sounds expensive, FUCK THAT you say.....well i say that is .30 cents a watt. In my day, and my buddy Chris too, we would probably cut our own mother's arm off and backhand our grandmother with it to get a deal like that. LOL :D :D

so anyway, i thought it was an interesting topic. I know we are talking RF here but now use your favorite brand and you might be talking 15-20 cents a watt. Who the hell bitches about that?

thats what i was trying to get at in the hifonics thread and there was a lot of butthurt given..

hifonics amps is about .15 cents per watt.. i rather save a few more and pay .30 cents per watt.. what they fail to see is the quality that goes in to that amp.. i have ran hifonics and fosgate and the sound you get is like night and day.then they reply, but you are comparing apples to oranges. oh well screw it. just the way its sounds is a good trade off and well worth the extra few cents, at least for me

http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/MPH6300.htm

One-off Phoenix Gold amp, advertised as "not for sale", yet still has an MSRP of $99,000.

In 1995.

$220/watt...why even build an amp and show off the specs for it when you have no intention of ever selling it or making it accessible to the masses?

Actually they made a new one of those amps every year that got more and more expensive. I believe the first one was only about $20,000 or so. I remember seeing an article much later where a rep said that they kept making them because someone always ended up buying them.