Misc. Sealed off trunk - '01Stratus *Gutted*

That's the reason I was pulling it. I have NO clue. Never bottomed out, never blew smoke. Coil was bright and shiny. But Nate, remember how I said mine got stinky after 15 minutes full tilt? Maybe it was that one.

I am disappointed in how these handle the 2200 when they are rated 1200w a piece. I talked to soundqubed and whoever I talked to had their head up their ass. They act like I was clipping out my ass. I told them that I know when I clip because I'll drop lower on my voltage. They said that just because I drop lower on my voltage it doesn't mean I'm clipping, actually I'll pull up or convo because it pissed me off that much.

Hi, just recently I noticed one of my HDS300 12's producing an odd noise. Much more noticeable at the higher frequencies such at 70-80hz. Down around 35hz it isn't as noticeable, but still there.

Before I purchased these I asked if they would be a direct drop in for the same box I had for my sdc2.5s; 2.25cuft per sub tuned to 35hz with a center port. On a 2200 tuned with a DD-1 -5dB tone. Subsonic @ 26hz, LPF @ 80hz. Most my music I play is about the same recorded level. Note, none of the settings were changed when I swapped out from the 2.5s.
Here is a video of that sound I was talking about. I am assuming it is the dust cap, without any further inspection.
Also a side question. I realize these are a 3" coil, but do they use less copper then the sdc2.5s? After 15 minutes of playing them they start to smell just as my sdc2.5s did with the same amount of play time. I assumed that they would handle the power much better than what the sdcs had. Considering these are rated for 2400w rms (together) and I am maybe giving them 2000w with rise and the voltage drop (down to about 13.1). I can tell when I am starting to clip because my voltage will plummet down to 12.6. But that isn't the case for these 15 minutes of play time.
Thanks for your time,
Grant K
That smell you are getting is not from the woofer being at fault the smell is from having inneficiency in your power. What charging system upgrades do you have? Also voltage dropping does NOT constitute clipping. Clipping is due to a dirty, distorted signal, voltage dropping can effect the amount of clipping but is not the primary factor.

D1200 up front. D3100 in rear. 120a stock alternator. Big 3. Ordered a mechman 240a and putting that in this weekend. All 1/0 Knu. And what do you mean by inefficiency in my power?

The reason I mentioned clipping and voltage drop is because the amplifier is drawing more current than it would normally playing a clean signal

D1200 up front. D3100 in rear. 120a stock alternator. Big 3. Ordered a mechman 240a and putting that in this weekend. All 1/0 Knu. And what do you mean by inefficiency in my power?
The reason I mentioned clipping and voltage drop is because the amplifier is drawing more current than it would normally playing a clean signal

Also,

You could be going non linear once you get up in to that range dependent on your box.
Else fails pull them out, check the coils. If they need to come back here for us to give them a look over please fill out an RMA located under the warranty section of the site!
So that is the coils making that noise then?
More than likely. We would need to get them on the bench to see what's going on with them.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

If you knew what my alternator guru in Fort Lauderdale and a couple well respected guys in the audio industry (that will remain unnamed in this post) say about almost every single alternator company except 1 currently, you wouldn't want to nut hug any one particular brand. That goes for both Nate and grant..

This coming from the guy with the tenney alternator of course. (For now)

I mean if it works it works, great. But there is only 1 company that uses every part brand new with proper spacers and doesn't use old stock alternator casings with inferior cooling.

A good example is a singer 320hairpin I ordered. Directly from singer. Looked beautiful, but after my alternator guru tore it apart it didn't look so amazing any more. In fact he took out a 160amp alternator from in his office and it was identical. Singer is known for his large case GM alternators and this was a brand new 320a hairpin of his. But after dissection, my alternator guru wouldn't let me leave with it unless he put proper lock washers and spacers behind the pully. There was almost zero meat for the alternator to bite on to the pully. It was brought up to his spec and its a great alternator, not that singer did a bad job but it makes me wonder how many other alternators don't have a safe set up behind the flashy powder coating or flashy pully caps.

I'm just saying no one brand is God, but this is just what ive seen from the multiple HO alternator disassembles I've had him take apart. Once I save up $700 I'll purchase that last brand that uses all 100% new parts and see what he says about that alternator build and parts quality.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Yeah dude your not clipping at all, maybe a soft clip but that's not gonna do it. I got 3k maybe a tad more to mine and I havnt had any issues man:/ they move a shit ton tho!! But no issues

Sounds like It's a defective sub man.

Yeah dude your not clipping at all, maybe a soft clip but that's not gonna do it. I got 3k maybe a tad more to mine and I havnt had any issues man:/ they move a shit ton tho!! But no issues

Sounds like It's a defective sub man.

How quickly do your get smelly though?

I just went with mechman because they were affordable and have been proven. No they are not DC, but then again I've heard complains about DCs CS and their attention to alternator mounting.

Honestly I'm not drop dead impressed with it right now anyways running at 2 ohm needless to say. We will see once I get everything up and working again.

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I love the build quality of my DC. However the way they rednecked the mount together is stupid...

Where's the alt installed pics?

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

I love the build quality of my DC. However the way they rednecked the mount together is stupid...

Where's the alt installed pics?

I see your pics. And raise you a video.

Archived