Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer Terminals


CommonSyns

Recommended Posts

Posted

Getting a new box soon, But I can't build it myself as I no longer have the tools to do it (moved all tools down to TN) So I'm having a reputable shop make it complete with carpet and such. I was wondering something about the terminals for the box itself, Is it better to just run wires through a hole in the box for speaker cables or should I use terminal cups? I've played around with the idea of using bolts but I'm unfortunately stupid when it comes to wiring voice coils, I've seen people use bolts but I wondered how do they change the ohm of the subwoofer once its in the box and connected to the bolt on the inside? Like I said I'm pretty stupid when it comes to voice coil wiring so I don't know. A diagram would be helpful. Also, Should I go with the bolt idea how many would I need I'm guessing 1 bolt for each post on the subwoofer to the bolt on the box, If not than how many? Should I also have the shop make a square without carpet thats big enough for the bolts to be put side by side or can it be used with the carpet? I'd rather not start a fire so I'm guessing without the carpet. I think I read somewhere on here that terminal cups melt after a certain rms rating is that true? I will be using 2 Skar 1500's at 1 ohm, But I have not decided if I want to strap them or use one amplifier to each subwoofer. Anyone actually use terminal cups anymore?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

Sweet, Thank you! Do I still have to wire each subwoofer to the ohm I would want and then wire to the box to get a final ohm?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

^congrats on the posts lol and the ninja'd :P

i say use bolts. and just make sure you mark the + and - of each voice coil. so yes a bolt pretty much for each post on the sub. here's mine if it helps at all.

then to change the final box ohm load you just change the jumpers around on the out side of the box

WP_002218.jpg

WP_002228.jpg

WP_002230.jpg

~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~

Posted

The subwoofers are Skar ZVX's in the 15" size. They should be dvc's.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

so 8 bolts all together? 4 positive and 4 negative? So each speaker wire to one bolt and so on.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

Sounds good, Thank you for all your help. I will tell the shop that's doing it to do it this way.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

Does anyone still use subwoofer terminal cups? Why or why not?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Posted

i don't either cause bolts have lower resistance if you get the right ones and they're easier to install and easier to change ohm load, ect.

plus some terminal cups can heat up above certain power levels.

but i still use them on low powered boxes that go in friends cars who i know don't care about changing their ohm load. lol

~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1178 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...