Second Skin Audio

Fi voice coils

afrakes

I'm looking at buying a single dual 2 fi q 15 to run at 1 ohm but it says online that the true voice coil impedance is actually 1.4 ohms per coil for the dual 2. Does this mean I will really be running at .7 ohms and if so do I need to buy an amp that's stable under 1 ohm??

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

the DC resistance is 1.4 and .7ohm, yes.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I'm looking at buying a single dual 2 fi q 15 to run at 1 ohm but it says online that the true voice coil impedance is actually 1.4 ohms per coil for the dual 2. Does this mean I will really be running at .7 ohms and if so do I need to buy an amp that's stable under 1 ohm??

You will more than likely rise to over 1ohm...maybe even over 2...I would not worry about it at allm Most subs when you use a DMM the coils come out under 1ohm or 2ohm load. my experience anyway.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Yeah, its the Re for "real" or dc impedance of the coil. But its usually not a big deal going .7 from 1, what amp are you thinking of running?

I was thinking about running anything from aq, sundown, Rockford, dc, etc. something well built around 2000 to 2500 rms

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

guys, impedance is not the DC resistance of the coil. those are two separate things. the dc resistance is lower than the impedance. just look at any home speaker on parts-express. you will see an "8ohm speaker" and the DC resistance will be about 6.2ohm.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

skittlesRgood is right. Here's more info.

Straight from wiki.

Re - Measured in ohms (Ω), this is the DC resistance (DCR) of the voice coil, best measured with the cone blocked, or prevented from moving or vibrating because otherwise the pickup of ambient sounds can cause the measurement to be unreliable.Re should not be confused with the rated driver impedance, Re can be tightly controlled by the manufacturer, while rated impedance values are often approximate at best.. American EIA standard RS-299A specifies that Re (or DCR) should be at least 80% of the rated driver impedance, so an 8-ohm rated driver should have a DC resistance of at least 6.4 ohms, and a 4-ohm unit should measure 3.2 ohms minimum. This standard is voluntary, and many 8 ohm drivers have resistances of ~5.5 ohms, and proportionally lower for lower rated impedances.

Or in laymen's terms,

"This is the DC resistance of the driver measured with an ohm meter and it is often referred to as the 'DCR'. This measurement will almost always be less than the driver's nominal impedance. Consumers sometimes get concerned the Re is less than the published impedance and fear that amplifiers will be overloaded. Due to the fact that the inductance of a speaker rises with a rise in frequency, it is unlikely that the amplifier will often see the DC resistance as its load."

(from the12volt.com)

You will more than likely rise to over 1ohm...maybe even over 2...I would not worry about it at allm Most subs when you use a DMM the coils come out under 1ohm or 2ohm load. my experience anyway.

in what world would you end up going from .7 to over 2 from rise? Maybe to 1 but 2 seems a little excessive.

Wall build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174827-walled-taurus-with-lambo-doors/#entry2571893

real men dont use fuses :D

Neither do morons
Says the guy with lambo doors on his Ford Taurus.

Man this topic KILLS me every time it is brought up.

DCR is the DC resistance of the coil. It is the resistance of the coil when DC current is applied.

Impedance is the AC resistance of the coil when AC current is applied.

Leave rise out of it. For the 1,000,000 time - every sub has an impedance peak at the resonant frequency of the cone - in the box or sitting on your kitchen table. The peak is not just at that one frequency - the impedance starts to rise below the Fs and falls back down above it. Too many people take power readings and assume the impedance is rising due to the box, but most if the time it is just within this peak caused by the driver's resonant frequency.

Look at this impedance plot for a driver in free air:

b707fe5e.jpg

It is an 8 ohm driver, but the impedance is as high as 35 ohms!! Does that mean the driver will get less power at 40 Hz? Yes, but does it mean the driver will be lose 6 dB at 40 Hz compared to other frequencies? NO!!! It is just how it works, and unless you are burping at a specific frequency or know the impedance at every frequency you will play, don't worry about it!!!!

In the case above, you played a 40 Hz test tone and said "man look how bad the rise is" and then tried to correct it by changing from an 8 ohm coil to a 1 ohm coil. Now what will happen the first time you play 110 Hz????

Enough for now. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

in what world would you end up going from .7 to over 2 from rise? Maybe to 1 but 2 seems a little excessive.

Wow.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived