Sonic Electronix

Battery Isolators - How do they work? Do you need one?

Here's a video we made about battery isolaters and how they work. Enjoy!

468x60-forum-banner.jpg
2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 5.3L w/ Brutus 1700W, NVX 4 Chan, L7 Subs, Sony Deck & Alpine Speaks
Sonic Electronix Articles by Harry Donihue --> CLICK

Good video.

So many people think they need isolators without understanding why. The fact of the matter is: most people don't. And the only folks who benefit from it are, as you mentioned, people who play for extended periods with the car off. Like at an indoor show or something

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Good video.

So many people think they need isolators without understanding why. The fact of the matter is: most people don't. And the only folks who benefit from it are, as you mentioned, people who play for extended periods with the car off. Like at an indoor show or something

what about keeping a wet cell battery upfront to start the car and run maybe a 4 channel on it

and a bank of AGM's in the back for the sub amps

(cheaper than buying a AGM for upfront)

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

Good video.

what about keeping a wet cell battery upfront to start the car and run maybe a 4 channel on it

But why do that? Just get an AGM for the front.

I know you might be on a budget, but find another way. Consider the cost of an isolator vs. selling your front battery and buying an AGM. Or either downsizing or eliminating the rear battery altogether

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Good video.

I know you might be on a budget, but find another way. Consider the cost of an isolator vs. selling your front battery and buying an AGM. Or either downsizing or eliminating the rear battery altogether

yeah true lol

im not saying its for me personally im just saying it might help people on a budget

and selling a wet cell isnt gonna profit much more than like 50 bucks depending on how old it is

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

Good video.

yeah true lol

im not saying its for me personally im just saying it might help people on a budget

and selling a wet cell isnt gonna profit much more than like 50 bucks depending on how old it is

50 bucks for a battery, figure another ~50 you will save by not dealing with the isolator and associated wiring. 100 bucks can get you something. not much, but it's a start

• 3 weeks later...

So, AGM batteries don't have "cells" that die in the same sense of a wet cell battery?

I heard that you shouldn't mix the types because if one of the 6 2V wet cells dies, then it's now essentially 10V battery, and the alt will overcharge the 12V agm battery connected in parallel without an isolator.

Edited by -X-RaTeD-

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

• 2 months later...

the only problem i have with isolators is that sure, you just killed one of your batteries... and now, you can start the car on the other battery, (that is still good).....but now, you have an alternator trying to charge a dead battery. That is one of the worst things you can do to an alternator is charge a dead battery back up with it.

The best thing you can do is just not play your system for extended periods of time with the car not running. Start it up once in a while and don't kill the battery to begin with.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

So, AGM batteries don't have "cells" that die in the same sense of a wet cell battery?

I heard that you shouldn't mix the types because if one of the 6 2V wet cells dies, then it's now essentially 10V battery, and the alt will overcharge the 12V agm battery connected in parallel without an isolator.

If you have a dead battery, you need to replace it. Not bandaid the problem lol.

And the alt won't overcharge it. It will drain your voltage of your good battery leaving you with 2 dead batts