OBI Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 So I was about to get my stripper pole welded in by a friend of a friend, who welds for a living. And he told me that I had to disconnect my batteries or they would get damaged. For me this isn't an easy task. Have a bunch of amps and wood I would have to move just to get to the positive buss bar. I could however easily get to my grounds. How much truth is there to the battery issue? I have to experience with welding so getting more opinions.
skittlesRgood Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 im curious why you dont trust the guy that does this for a living? If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
Emmet Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 Yes you need to, the plant will be grounded to the frame. You really don't want that kind of voltage being on the same circuit as your batteries. You can take a chance and ground as close to the piece as possible but it can turn out ugly. ABS controller fried and the sort. i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah.. You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people. I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.
OBI Posted March 5, 2013 Author Report Posted March 5, 2013 Not that I don't trust hime but its Because there is just as much info out there saying it isn't necessary from other people that do it for a living.
OBI Posted March 5, 2013 Author Report Posted March 5, 2013 Yes you need to, the plant will be grounded to the frame. You really don't want that kind of voltage being on the same circuit as your batteries. You can take a chance and ground as close to the piece as possible but it can turn out ugly. ABS controller fried and the sort. Is the main ground being disconnected enough? Or do both power and ground need to be disconnected? How about the PCU? Been reading a lot about that one too. That you should disconnect it.
CortezDTV Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 I've welded my car many time batts connected Maybe if he was grounding on the opposite side of the car but if he's grounding close to the spot if the weld should be fine I see his concern with the batteries thing, kinda SCSB Santa Cruz Speaker Box Build logs: Daily Driver Lemon Marquis 2 american bass 750.1s 350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters Mystery subs http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1 The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/
CortezDTV Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 The "electrons" need a path to ground Leave ur car off and make sure he used the ground close to the spot ur welding not on the engine block or -terminal lol SCSB Santa Cruz Speaker Box Build logs: Daily Driver Lemon Marquis 2 american bass 750.1s 350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters Mystery subs http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1 The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/
lifted_silverado Posted March 5, 2013 Report Posted March 5, 2013 I wouldnt say you HAVE to but it would be a good idea. Why take a chance? It takes quite a bit of electrical current to weld. I was a welder for 2 1/2 years before I became an engineer. Ive had to replace cell phones from being in my pocket while welding on steal because the current had frizzed them out Edit: if you decide to leave your batts hooked up you cantblame him for any damage that may ooccur Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins
skittlesRgood Posted March 6, 2013 Report Posted March 6, 2013 disconnecting the grounds should be fine. as long as you break the circuit you shouldn't have a problem. so it's ok that you cant really get to your + connections. I'm not a welder but, electrically, that's what makes sense to me. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
OBI Posted March 6, 2013 Author Report Posted March 6, 2013 Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll just end up unhooking my ground battery cables and the PCM just to be safe.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.