What is the point of equalizers?

I'd really like to know to. I've heard people say just leave everything flat, and that's what I have done since I started my first ever install.

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

I'd really like to know to. I've heard people say just leave everything flat, and that's what I have done since I started my first ever install.

I've never left settings flat a day in my life. I the mids from vocals too annoying and harsh and I've always backed off on the 400-600 Hz range.

OP, if you have a HU that has a lot of processing am additional EQ is usually not needed. If your Head Unit does not, like only a 3 band or something, a nice gain in sound quality can be obtained from an aftermarket EQ.

A simple Google search will tell you what an equalizer does. Look up crossover while you're at it.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

All I use mine to do is attenuate the extremely high frequencies.. That shit is annoying and starts to hurt after a while.. Especially at high volumes.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

it can equalize certain frequencies that may have been left out or very quiet in certain system and help so you can hear it clearly with other frequencies without using say "bass boost *cough cough* bullshit *cough cough* that will distort you sound quality"

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Equalizers "equalize" sound, they lower or raise the levels of specific frequencies to "level" the spectrum. If you were to play music in a room and had some sort of real time analyzer hooked up to a microphone, you'll see different levels across the spectrum. Let's say that at 500-1000 hz is louder than all other frequencies, in this case you would want to lower them to match the rest or raise them if they are lower.

The ideal sound (or at least what is intended) is "flat", no peaks or drops across the full spectrum, but because not every listening environment is the same, equalizers are used to level the sound.

Of course, most folks use equalizers to tailor their sound to what they like. :)

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived