New SQ set up in the Scion tC, Need Opinions, Options, Ideas please!

HunterJohnson

There are some harsh ribbons out there but Fountek, Raal, and Mundorf are not harsh at all. You can pick up a fountek or LCY ribbon for under a 100 bux and it will be one of the best you've ever heard. Planar ribbons can be harsh sometimes and are VERY unforgiving of poorly recorded material. Most need a notch filter to take the bite out of them. I will agree that most domes lack a sense of dynamics but not all.That is not to say that they can't kick ass in the right applications; esp. the large format ones. There a lot of factors that go into it though. You just have to pick the right tool for the job.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

There are some harsh ribbons out there but Fountek, Raal, and Mundorf are not harsh at all. You can pick up a fountek or LCY ribbon for under a 100 bux and it will be one of the best you've ever heard. Planar ribbons can be harsh sometimes and are VERY unforgiving of poorly recorded material. Most need a notch filter to take the bite out of them. I will agree that most domes lack a sense of dynamics but not all.That is not to say that they can't kick ass in the right applications; esp. the large format ones. There a lot of factors that go into it though. You just have to pick the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the input ill stick with dome tweeters bc they are my favorite and ribbons damage very easily. Well at least the ones I have used

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Question: do you have those airbags in the A-Pillars ??

Also, the tweeters (im assuming that they are in the sail pannels) you have now ... How are they angled and where are they crossed over ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

It is probably wise to stick with what you know and like. I can only imagine mounting a ribbon tweeter in a car, that would be a challenge as well now that I think about it. I have demoed a lot of speakers because of my job. I do IT work but its for a small business that handles home A/V / PCs and managed services like remote support / security / networking / car and marine A/V.... Needless to say I get to mess with some equipment. A lot of the stuff I see belongs to customers and we are fixing it.

I'm gonna hate

Question: do you have those airbags in the A-Pillars ??

Also, the tweeters (im assuming that they are in the sail pannels) you have now ... How are they angled and where are they crossed over ??

No I do not, I can glass them/put tweeters there without a problem.

They are angled directly at my ears. The passenger one is a little off tho. And they're crossed at 6k on my amp, but I just went by the dials the slope could be pretty flat bc it has a nice smooth transition.

Scion tC SQ Build

WOW ... 6k ?? Whats the use in having them ???

Mine are crossed over at 2600 htz.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

Lol that's just were it sounded best. Idk what the slope looks like but that's where the best transition was.

But this is another reason why I'm going to upgrade and get some quality drivers and install them correctly

Scion tC SQ Build

Lol that's just were it sounded best. Idk what the slope looks like but that's where the best transition was.

But this is another reason why I'm going to upgrade and get some quality drivers and install them correctly

OT/Rant:

I think this is the best plan that I have ever heard for a system. Why do I see so many threads every day with a plan that isn't THIS asking why their setup is/will be bad?

I'm gonna hate

I sure wish we could meet up for a demo ... Make plans for World Finals in Huntsville !!!

its been a while but I think my tweeters are crossed over at 7k lol. but my mids dont have a problem playing that high.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived