02 trailblazer build

Kade

Totaled my Mazda Tribute 3-weeks ago :(

Ended up with an 02 trailblazer LS to replace it. Doesn't have the bose system.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what size speakers I can fit in here and whats the best non-component approach to this. I've seen some pics of the speaker brackets where they "might" be able to mount a separate tweeter e.g. having a component set without having to drill my panels.

Also, I have blank spots on the dash where some smaller 3.5"(?) are supposed to go in the bose package. Would adding speakers in the dash help fill out the space around my ears with the coaxials in the doors?

I'll have an aftermarket headunit and amp.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Well you could run like a super tweeter in the dash and mids in the front doors. Or some 4" coax there and mids in the doors. There are a few options but it depends on what you want out of your system and your budget. I run RF products and the tweeters have pods that you mount so you dont have to drill holes. And i am sure other component sets are like that as well. How many amps do you want to run? Are you running subs? Are you running rear fill from speakers in the back? Tons to think about and once you have a plan, budget and design then it helps to ask specific questions to narrow down your needs.

Also, I have blank spots on the dash where some smaller 3.5"(?) are supposed to go in the bose package. Would adding speakers in the dash help fill out the space around my ears with the coaxials in the doors?

Yes! The non bose system has the tweets low in the front doors. Most peoples legs will sit right in front of them, which really muffles the highs when there is a front seat passenger.

I made some tweet mounts that go where the OEM bose dash speakers went. Night and day difference.

dashtweets9.jpg

Note: non bose doesn't have the dash wiring, you'll have to run your own.

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

Clean ass build dhall9. I see alot of though and time went into your build. Great job and i bet it sounds great. Also really like the all RF products. Running all RF Power in my ride and love it. OP, take a close look at this build, you can get a ton of ideas for yours.

Clean ass build dhall9. I see alot of though and time went into your build. Great job and i bet it sounds great. Also really like the all RF products. Running all RF Power in my ride and love it. OP, take a close look at this build, you can get a ton of ideas for yours.

Thanks, it does sound great. And it did take a lot of thought, time, and research to get everything just right. I really wanted to retain the factory appearance and not get too deep into custom panels and all that stuff.

Well you could run like a super tweeter in the dash and mids in the front doors. Or some 4" coax there and mids in the doors. There are a few options but it depends on what you want out of your system and your budget. I run RF products and the tweeters have pods that you mount so you dont have to drill holes. And i am sure other component sets are like that as well. How many amps do you want to run? Are you running subs? Are you running rear fill from speakers in the back? Tons to think about and once you have a plan, budget and design then it helps to ask specific questions to narrow down your needs.

How does the surface mounting work with the RF tweeters?

I'd love to run all RF, but I've recently been reading a lot into Infinity. I've heard all good things about them and prices are very nice. The Kappa series has all the right sizes to upgrade my existing setup as well as filling the 3.5" pair in the dash. The thing I like most about the 6.5" Kappa's is the pivot tweeters. I think they would help more with the imaging of the music e.g. imitating the mounting options of a component tweeter. Or am I mistaken?

All I'm really shooting for is a clean surround-sound vibe with an emphasis on the low/low-mid frequencies. Something that isn't loud, but hits my ears in a way where it would cut the road noise and be slightly difficult to talk over. The hifonics components in my previous car didn't deliver that. With my subs on, it sounded like a bee and a bear were arguing.

As far as amps go, I was going with a sub amp, 4-channel(doors), 2-channel(dash). All amps rockford prefered; nothing heavy hitting. I have 2 rockford P3D4-10s(2010 model) that survived the wreck. I was planning on using those again. They sound great.

Here is the link to my trailblazer build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141584-trailblazer-ss-build/

The only place I can think of you would have to "drill" for components is the rear door panels. I didn't want to that either, so I just ran a set of coax in the rear doors.

That is a sick build. I can't stop looking. I'd love to have that setup. How exactly do you have the door and dash speakers wired to the amps?

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

How does the surface mounting work with the RF tweeters?

I'd love to run all RF, but I've recently been reading a lot into Infinity. I've heard all good things about them and prices are very nice. The Kappa series has all the right sizes to upgrade my existing setup as well as filling the 3.5" pair in the dash. The thing I like most about the 6.5" Kappa's is the pivot tweeters. I think they would help more with the imaging of the music e.g. imitating the mounting options of a component tweeter. Or am I mistaken?

All I'm really shooting for is a clean surround-sound vibe with an emphasis on the low/low-mid frequencies. Something that isn't loud, but hits my ears in a way where it would cut the road noise and be slightly difficult to talk over. The hifonics components in my previous car didn't deliver that. With my subs on, it sounded like a bee and a bear were arguing.

As far as amps go, I was going with a sub amp, 4-channel(doors), 2-channel(dash). All amps rockford prefered; nothing heavy hitting. I have 2 rockford P3D4-10s(2010 model) that survived the wreck. I was planning on using those again. They sound great.

>Here is the link to my trailblazer build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141584-trailblazer-ss-build/

The only place I can think of you would have to "drill" for components is the rear door panels. I didn't want to that either, so I just ran a set of coax in the rear doors.

That is a sick build. I can't stop looking. I'd love to have that setup. How exactly do you have the door and dash speakers wired to the amps?

I ran all new wiring from the doors/dash back to the amps. I also ran all the wiring through the factory door boots and connectors. This isn't completely necessary, but I didn't want to cut any factory wiring I didn't have to. Now if I choose to sell, I can just un-tape the factory wires, plug them back into the harnesses, put the factory radio back in and I'm good to go. Plus I wanted to upsize the speaker wire for any future speaker upgrades down the road.

I have ran Infinity and there pretty good, did a whole build in my sons car - the P2D412s. It was pretty nice but my RF system is way better the way i have it set up. But i think you have the right ideas with the amps and where you want everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. So, I've been fighting with the car dealership. Signed the papers and then shit goes wrong. My driver's side door lock doesn't work, passenger window doesn't work, right rear window regulator cable got all twisted up in the pulley system. 3 things I have to fix before purchasing new gear. -sigh-

Sorry to be a copy-cat, but my subs are so good, the rest of the rockford lineup has to be pretty decent...

I see the punch series of door speakers is limited to P1. Should I take the leap and go to T1? Not doing any competitions or anything. Just wondering.

Archived