Brandon Breazeale Posted March 17, 2013 Report Posted March 17, 2013 I have a few quick question about the sub box that I am going to be building.First I have two SA-10 D4's wired down to 1Ohm, being powered by a SAZ-1500V3, currently have a crappy prefab enclosure. Though the subs still sound great I know they can be much louder.I have used a few online calculators as well as design software to build a basic ported box. I just want to verify that the box design I have will be sufficient.I've been playing with some numbers and I'm curious about port recommendations as far as width and lengthCurrent Box design is a simple ported box with a side slot vent, subs are sharing air space. I'm using RE audio Box calculatorspecs areWidth - 36"Depth (top and bottom) - 12"Height - 15"Square port width - 2"Square port length - 6"Box volume comes to - 2.53 ft^3Tuned frequency - 35.15Just want some advice or confirmation that my box design will suite my setupThanks,Brandon
n8ball2013 Posted March 17, 2013 Report Posted March 17, 2013 First things first. I removed your avatar. This is a forum of 99.9 percent males. No one wants to see you half naked. Second this goes in the subs and enclosure section I will move it for you. Please post in the right sections. Third. I can not even read that. I dont know if its my theme but a black text on a gray background is hard to see. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Jessica Posted March 17, 2013 Report Posted March 17, 2013 doing the math on a calculator, it looks like you have 11 sqin of port per cuft. That could be a little more. I see a lot of members recommend 12-14 sq inches. Also, on that power you might want to shrink the box down to closer to 2cuft net. on a side note. Without torres i really can't say what the tuning is for sure but a 6" long square port doesn't seem like 35hz, more like 40 or 42. But i am at work and can't really verify it. Someone will chime in here soon. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
Brandon Breazeale Posted March 17, 2013 Author Report Posted March 17, 2013 First things first. I removed your avatar. This is a forum of 99.9 percent males. No one wants to see you half naked. Second this goes in the subs and enclosure section I will move it for you. Please post in the right sections. Third. I can not even read that. I dont know if its my theme but a black text on a gray background is hard to see. Thanks, and not sure how to change the background color, but I did change the font color. I'm using http://reaudio.com/box.php calculator
Brandon Breazeale Posted March 17, 2013 Author Report Posted March 17, 2013 I'll shrink the cuft, I am taking into account that each sub takes up .1tf^3, so .2 total for sub displacement. Subs are recommended to be tuned to 35.4 and 1-1.25 ft^3 per sub, so 2-2.5 for both with shared air space
larrys95civic Posted March 17, 2013 Report Posted March 17, 2013 first thanks for removing the pic N8 lol and I've never used the RE calculator but I had a teammate use it and he ended up with a box that was suppose to be tuned to 32 hz and ended up at like 44hz lol. and just tossing your exact measurements into torres box calculators it's 2.83 cubic feet and tuned to 22.47hz Team Superior SPL Former Installer at Driven Sound & Security http://www.drivenss.com All kinds of forsale threads http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164247-amps-subs-and-misc/#entry2383262 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164430-polk-audio-sda6000-sound-bar/#entry2386634 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164279-3-michael-kors-watches/#entry2383983 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164549-more-items-from-storage/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166967-dd-9518s-amps-kenwood-custom-explorer-dash/ If someone is feeling generous I'd love an original sig LOL
Joe X Posted March 18, 2013 Report Posted March 18, 2013 Here is a suggestion assuming this is going to a trunk car: Enclosure Specifications:Fb = 35 HzVb = 2.5 ft^3External Height = 14 inExternal Width = 31 inExternal Depth = 16.625 inPort Width = 2 5/8 inCut Sheet List:* All Dimensions in Inches.* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.External Enclosure Parts:Front & Back = 31 x 14Left & Right Sides = 15 1/8 x 12 1/2Top & Bottom = 31 x 15 1/8L Port Internal Assembly Parts:Front to Back = 12 1/2 x 12 1/2Extension = 6 1/8 x 12 1/2 Assembly guide (generic dimensions): Important notes:- The 45s if you want to do them are 2 1/2" wide except the one/ones inside the port, if you want that let me know.- All trunk boxes built outside the car need to fit in their way in not just have the right dimensions.- The port needs 2 1/4" of free airspace in front of it for proper operation.- Setting your amp subsonic filter to 28Hz is suggested.
Brandon Breazeale Posted March 18, 2013 Author Report Posted March 18, 2013 Thanks 160db, design looks great. After doing some measuring, I would like to keep the width of the box to about 28"-32", height 12"-14", and depth can be any size. This will be the first sub box I've build. However I'm ready to tackle this challenge and take my time. is there a any disatvantage with a side slot port with 3 common walls, like figure 4 from http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/38791-torres-box-tuning-calculator-updated-818/ I ask because it looks a little easier to build. I'm also not sure if I will end up doing the 45's, I only have a hand circular saw and a jigsaw, though I know that the 45's add strength and help with airflow
Brandon Breazeale Posted March 18, 2013 Author Report Posted March 18, 2013 If anyone can recommend and box builders that can send me some plans, I would really appreciate it, don't mind paying a little money to someone who is experienced. Thanks
Joe X Posted March 18, 2013 Report Posted March 18, 2013 Changed the above. No disadvantages on the 3 common wall design in this case, no need to do the 45s just rounding the sharp edges inside the port is enough. Also don't get nervous over this being your first box, just make sure you are able to cut nice and straight, if you can't have someone do it for you, Home Depot does this for you if you buy the wood there.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.