Second Skin Audio

Ohms And Watts

neither. it's best to give the sub the rated power. now...giving a 200 watt sub 200 watts @ 4 ohms is better than giving it 200 watts @ 1 ohm. why? because this will cause the amp to run cooler and more efficient. giving it a cleaner signal. heat is an amps #1 enemy. but running an amp @ 1 ohm isnt bad either. lots of people here do. hell... i have my amp running 2 subs @ 1 ohm. you can give the sub less wattage than it's rated, but you're going to wanna make sure that the signal is still clean. ex: put a 100 watt amp on your 200 watt rated sub is ok, just dont have the amp settings turned up 100% as it'll distort the signal and damage your sub. you want that amp to put out 100 watts, not trying to push more than it can handle

hope that answers a question or two :)

Haha I did not know that, thanks. Yea I am planning on using a BTL 18 for some car use and just for a giant sound system. They had some nice amps running some JBL MRX’s at Guitar Center that were running at like 700 watts at 4 ohms I think. I just wanted to make sure the BLT running about 2500 watts would be louder at 1 ohm.

Edited by Kapetol T

Guest MegaloManiac
neither. it's best to give the sub the rated power. now...giving a 200 watt sub 200 watts @ 4 ohms is better than giving it 200 watts @ 1 ohm. why? because this will cause the amp to run cooler and more efficient. giving it a cleaner signal. heat is an amps #1 enemy. but running an amp @ 1 ohm isnt bad either. lots of people here do. hell... i have my amp running 2 subs @ 1 ohm. you can give the sub less wattage than it's rated, but you're going to wanna make sure that the signal is still clean. ex: put a 100 watt amp on your 200 watt rated sub is ok, just dont have the amp settings turned up 100% as it'll distort the signal and damage your sub. you want that amp to put out 100 watts, not trying to push more than it can handle

hope that answers a question or two :)

running an amp at 1ohm is harder on your electrical system compared to running an amp at lets say 4 ohms with same power. i noticed a big difference from switching from an cheaper amp to a Zapco. it was night and day difference for realz.

Yea that helps. But would running a sub with 1000 watts at 2 ohms be as loud as 2000 watts at 1?

In the same enclosure, same box, same everything except power, then no 1k of clean power will not be louder than 2k of clean power.