Sundown Audio

Hifonics and their RMS ratings

x91evo

This has probably been covered a million times,

But I am wondering how much does Hifonics over rate their RMS ratings by?

I am in the market for something around 2000RMS (when I get the money)
And I wasnt really considering Hifonics but they are starting to look better and better with the price tags they have haha.

Originally considering an AB 4480 2000RMS (I think)
but Hifonics has something advertised at 2100RMS for less?

what i've noticed with hifonics is they'll rebadge an amp with a different name, heatsink, and power rating when in reality the amps are all identical inside, for example I have had a hfi800.4 which is rated at 800rms total and a zeus 80.4 which is rated at 640 rms and then my nephew has a zxi1000.4 which is rated at 1000rms but they are identical amps internally as far as board structure goes, not sure if the components are changed for higher quality parts, their hifi lines are overrated by a good bit but the brutus series and the new brx series i'm pretty sure have all been clamped maybe 100 watts below rated or they do right at rated power pushed into a soft clip

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

thanks for the insite that post really helped me with all of my questions. (to the picture)

And not sure I worded it right,

But I was asking how much over are their RMS ratings of their amps, compared to what they actually clamp lol

(will a 2000RMS amp do 1500RMS?)

But I was asking how much over are their RMS ratings of their amps, compared to what they actually clamp lol

(will a 2000RMS amp do 1500RMS?)

depends on which line of amps you buy, for example the hfi line of amps are highly overrated, same with the newer zrx line, but the BRZ, BXI, BRX line all do right at around rated or a little less, their 2000w amp will do 2000w and nothing more.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

The BRZ and now the BRX lines will do rated only at 14.4 volts, if you have the strong electrical then ok, now with Hifonics you can only dare run them at 1/2 ohm and even if you run them on proper impedance you have a good chance of getting reliability issues with those amps. I have recommended this amps because of the price and if you really can't afford something actually good, at the price the new BRX line came out I see no point in recommending these amps, if you can get a deal on the older BRZs and wish to take the risk.. then go ahead.

thats interesting, I know with an older brutus I had it was alot less than what it was advertised at. But good to hear at the same time

depends which ones your using GLX BRZ and BRE are CEA compliant. i think the Zues might be this year too. As far as testing them and making sure.. idk..

big problem i've seen with hifonics is their quality control, too many of their amps show up brand new in box dead on arrival, i've had 2 amps of theirs go straight into protect first time powered up and it was not due to user error

'93 Firebird Formula V8

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Archived