DC Sound Lab

Couple of DC Amp questions

I've researched and messed with, but my two amps still need some tweaking and I have a question about my controls and bass knob.

I have a DC 2k and a DC 175.

I have an active EQ (Massive 7) that my amps run through. The EQ seems to override the amps. My EQ has a bass control and it controls the bass while my bass knob for the 2k doesn't. Is there a way to fix that? Also messing with the settings on the amps don't seem to make a difference because the EQ seems to control it all. Is that just the way it will be? Trying to remove some of the bass out of my mid bass. They are popping at a higher levels. I am trying to have my bass knob run the bass so that i can see any 'clipping' that may be taking affect.

natesbanner-3.jpg
Fi/DC/SHCA/SMD fanatic
Some people talk about changing the world, others of us actually do it.

Violet's Build:
Dynomat Xtreme deadener (all doors and trunk)
(2) RF 200w circuit breaker
RF RCA's
VM-1
1/0 gauge welding lead
Big 3

Singer Hairpin Alt (blue)
7" touch screen HU (factory)
Diamond tweets

Mids (front) RF 6.5
Mids (rear) CVL64MBX
Massive 7 band EQ/Xover/line driver
Sky High 12 g wire & heat shrink for 1/0 g
DB Link/Sky High Ring Terminals
2 - Fi BL 12's
Ported box tuned to 32
DC 175.4
DC 2k
D2700 and XP950 XS Batteries
Project DB connectors/step downs
DD-1

Isn't that the point of an EQ, to control the system? If your midbass is popping, adjust the corresponding freq down on the EQ.

As far as seeing clipping, if you are referring to the clip light, its not 100% accurate anyway. Just use the EQ bass knob. As long as you set your gains right in the first place, you should nothing to worry about.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Ok. that's what I needed to know. My gains were both set with a DD1. The EQ is set at zero so I'll just back it off a little.

natesbanner-3.jpg
Fi/DC/SHCA/SMD fanatic

Violet's Build:
RF RCA's
VM-1
1/0 gauge welding lead
Big 3

Diamond tweets

Mids (front) RF 6.5
Mids (rear) CVL64MBX
2 - Fi BL 12's
Ported box tuned to 32
DC 175.4
DC 2k
DD-1

Ya, using a factory touchscreen took that option away. Step down runs into the EQ which runs everything. I trust what you're saying about clipping and my gains being set right.

natesbanner-3.jpg
Fi/DC/SHCA/SMD fanatic

Violet's Build:
RF RCA's
VM-1
1/0 gauge welding lead
Big 3

Diamond tweets

Mids (front) RF 6.5
Mids (rear) CVL64MBX
2 - Fi BL 12's
Ported box tuned to 32
DC 175.4
DC 2k
DD-1

as the first poster mentioned have you tried just moving the band down a db or 2 on your eq on whatever frequency band that produces this mid bass you want to tone down?

also what do you have your SSF set to on the amp? If that's set too low it will cause popping, hollowness, frequency shifting that will in fact make it sound to me anyways like the LPF and gain aren't doing what they should regardless of how they are adjusted. I'm not well learned with EQ's but I can't see one allowing you to avoid setting the SSF, LPF and GAIN correctly on the amp.

Try setting the SSF to around 29-30hz see if that clears up your sound. Took me alot of adjusting before I finally realized I'd had my SSF too low and it has been the biggest improvement moreso than any other setting I've fiddled with. To give you a ballpark mine is set around 2/3 anything lower I get shitty sound.

If you have a dmm you can play a 29hz tone medium volume, look at AC voltage on your speaker terminals, and starting with the SSF all the way down to 10hz, slowly turn it up until you see the voltage change. When it begins to change this means the "top" of the 24db/octave cutoff slope on the SSF is at whatever frequency tone you are playing (29hz in this example). You now are just starting cutting off 29hz to the least degree possible, and each frequency below this is cut off at an increasing rate.

It's the best way i know of to know whereabout (within the range of the cutoff slope) your SSF actually is. Note this is not a precise setting and does not mean you have cut out 29hz and below. The cutoff starts at 29hz as soon as the voltage changes.

08 Chevy Cobalt LS Coupe, Black

DC Soundlabs 3.5K
2x DC Level 4m2 15's @ 1 ohm
31hz designed by chevysub4x4spl

1x XS Power D3400

Stock Alt (mechman soon)

60ft 1/0 Copper Welding Cable

Alt, Batt, and Amp Power & All Grounds are 1/0 Copper

50 sq ft B-Quiet Ultimate & Cans of Spray Foam

JVC KD-A625

cant use a splitter before the RCAs into the EQ, then take the spitted off to the 2k, and the other split to the EQ? All you would have to do is reset gains and it would bypass the EQ.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

If you really must use the DC bass knob, just bypass the eq with your sub amp, rca's straight from deck to amp. The lowpass and ssf on the amp is plenty for the sub stage.

This.

I have done this before, even when I had the eq, but I wasn't reaching my systems full potential. So now I run everything through my eq and adjust all volumes and filters through the eq. Completely went away with the bass knob for my 3.5k, in fact I never used it at all. The way it was set up before when I had my Hifonics amps, it was rca's from the HU to the eq main, then the eq controlled my mids and highs, then sub out from the HU to the sub amp, then ran the bass knob back up front... Biggest downfall with that is when I wanted to adjust my volumes, I'd have to adjust my HU volume to keep allow the subs to keep up with the mids, adjust the eq volume so the mids wouldn't drown out the subs, then adjust the bass knob to equal out the bass for whatever type of music I was listening to.

Now... Everything is run through the eq, so my HU stays on 30/35 on volume and I never have to adjust that again, just adjust the main volume and the sub volume on my eq and it's done. I set up my main volume so the mids and highs don't kill my ears on a daily volume, then DD-1 the amp with the eq sub control in the halfway point, and adjust the gains til the DD-1 sees clipping.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

as the first poster mentioned have you tried just moving the band down a db or 2 on your eq on whatever frequency band that produces this mid bass you want to tone down?

also what do you have your SSF set to on the amp? If that's set too low it will cause popping, hollowness, frequency shifting that will in fact make it sound to me anyways like the LPF and gain aren't doing what they should regardless of how they are adjusted. I'm not well learned with EQ's but I can't see one allowing you to avoid setting the SSF, LPF and GAIN correctly on the amp.

Try setting the SSF to around 29-30hz see if that clears up your sound. Took me alot of adjusting before I finally realized I'd had my SSF too low and it has been the biggest improvement moreso than any other setting I've fiddled with. To give you a ballpark mine is set around 2/3 anything lower I get shitty sound.

If you have a dmm you can play a 29hz tone medium volume, look at AC voltage on your speaker terminals, and starting with the SSF all the way down to 10hz, slowly turn it up until you see the voltage change. When it begins to change this means the "top" of the 24db/octave cutoff slope on the SSF is at whatever frequency tone you are playing (29hz in this example). You now are just starting cutting off 29hz to the least degree possible, and each frequency below this is cut off at an increasing rate.

It's the best way i know of to know whereabout (within the range of the cutoff slope) your SSF actually is. Note this is not a precise setting and does not mean you have cut out 29hz and below. The cutoff starts at 29hz as soon as the voltage changes.

I'll check that setting and report back tomorrow.

If you really must use the DC bass knob, just bypass the eq with your sub amp, rca's straight from deck to amp. The lowpass and ssf on the amp is plenty for the sub stage.

This.

I have done this before, even when I had the eq, but I wasn't reaching my systems full potential. So now I run everything through my eq and adjust all volumes and filters through the eq. Completely went away with the bass knob for my 3.5k, in fact I never used it at all. The way it was set up before when I had my Hifonics amps, it was rca's from the HU to the eq main, then the eq controlled my mids and highs, then sub out from the HU to the sub amp, then ran the bass knob back up front... Biggest downfall with that is when I wanted to adjust my volumes, I'd have to adjust my HU volume to keep allow the subs to keep up with the mids, adjust the eq volume so the mids wouldn't drown out the subs, then adjust the bass knob to equal out the bass for whatever type of music I was listening to.

Now... Everything is run through the eq, so my HU stays on 30/35 on volume and I never have to adjust that again, just adjust the main volume and the sub volume on my eq and it's done. I set up my main volume so the mids and highs don't kill my ears on a daily volume, then DD-1 the amp with the eq sub control in the halfway point, and adjust the gains til the DD-1 sees clipping.

Ya, this is what I'll do. It wasn't that big of a deal. Now I know that setting my gains with the DD1 will keep me from clipping, using that bass knob is NOT a big deal. I just made a section for it next to my VM1 but it's not a big deal. I'll just keep using my EQ for everything.

It all needs some tweaking. My sub pops on a certain volume and when it hits a certain note. I am not sure if it was just the song because it only done it on one song. I need to do more messing with it. Only messed with it for about 10 mins. Trying not to piss off neighbors.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

natesbanner-3.jpg
Fi/DC/SHCA/SMD fanatic

Violet's Build:
RF RCA's
VM-1
1/0 gauge welding lead
Big 3

Diamond tweets

Mids (front) RF 6.5
Mids (rear) CVL64MBX