Second Skin Audio

1000w rms to a Sundown E-10, Safe?

hayden55

It's like the guy on YouTube running an NS-1 on a couple of Sundown SA-8 subs...what's the fucking point? I DON'T understand this big appeal to throw double and triple RMS ratings at subs for daily use. It's not gaining much, just equipment that will last fewer hours than intended

Go to bed right now

I've been in this game much longer than you kid, I won't be using audio advice from you. You should also be careful who you give it out to so some other kid doesn't blue their shit and say,"well they told me it would be fine...."

Do what YOU want, but don't give bad advice

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

What I'm saying is I can't imagine MUCH if any gain will be heard on a 300 W sub. And suggesting 3X the RMS to a sub is piss poor advice.

ok FIRST you say,

NO gain, only HEAT, lifespan LOSS

now its,

not MUCH gain vs lifespan

is overpowering subs for everyone NO

can it be done YES

in general does it gain/get louder YES

i LOVE seeing what equipment is capable of handing before failure.its what makes this hobby so much fun! and your ignorant statement hold not a single drop of water with me, when i have see you recommend "safe levels of over powering" and running amps under manufacturer advised impedance in the past..

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

It's like the guy on YouTube running an NS-1 on a couple of Sundown SA-8 subs...what's the fucking point? I DON'T understand this big appeal to throw double and triple RMS ratings at subs for daily use. It's not gaining much, just equipment that will last fewer hours than intended

Go to bed right now

I've been in this game much longer than you kid, I won't be using audio advice from you. You should also be careful who you give it out to so some other kid doesn't blue their shit and say,"well they told me it would be fine...."

Do what YOU want, but don't give bad advice

ok grandpa listen here

if you have been in this "game" so long

why did you state you will NOT gain ANYTHING other than heat/resistance by over powering a subwoofer

and if you reread my post directed towards the OP you would see im telling him NOT to over power his friends sub

weather he takes my advise or not or reads someone else and uses it im NOR that person can be held liable for his fuck ups

i swear the few arrogant fucks on this site that "know it all" make this site useless to post opinions without getting someone all butt hurt and have to pull the

"ive got XXXXX post count/ive been here for 4 years/ive been in this game longer than you"

keep stretching that e-peen and stroking that ego hoss

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

Posting this Just as a REFERENCE, if NOTHING changes but the power applied, the following gives you some idea on how power relates to perceived loudness:

DBVSPWR_zps7eb44d2e.jpg

If the voice coil overheats power compression will occur, as the resistance of the coil increases due to heat, less power can be transferred and therefore there will be a loss in output.

I just want to illustrate that 1000W is not twice as loud to your ears as 500W is (all other things being equal) which those new to car audio may think, is just a very modest gain (which may be lowered or lost as the coil heats up) that is not worth risking your equipment for.

Posting this Just as a REFERENCE, if NOTHING changes but the power applied, the following gives you some idea on how power relates to perceived loudness:

DBVSPWR_zps7eb44d2e.jpg

If the voice coil overheats power compression will occur, as the resistance of the coil increases due to heat, less power can be transferred and therefore there will be a loss in output.

I just want to illustrate that 1000W is not twice as loud to your ears as 500W is which those new to car audio may think, is just a very modest gain (which may be lowered or lost as the coil heats up) that is not worth risking your equipment for.

Good info but still does not help when its obvious some companies have low ratings.. and people have put double the power to said woofers without excessive heat or damage for long periods of play time

Wonder what the car audio world would be like if NO one put more than rated to their subs....... bet the world record wouldnt be 182+ thats for damn sure

You make me laugh dude. I won't get into a pissing match with you and clutter the OPs threa any further. And referring to past posts I've made that say anything about "safely" overpowering equipment, I'm sure I didn't recommend sending 3X the suggested power at a sub. As far as my statement of sending extra heat to the sub with 1000W of clean power, its true. Likely the sub will not enjoy all that extra heat and will not know what to do with it. It will take it for awhile, sure, it's a Sundown. Will it take it forever? Not likely. I'm glad you like pushing your equipment and seeing where it fails. I'm more impressed when I see a 10 year old sub still kicking because it's been responsibly cared for. Butt-hurt? No. I've never thermally killed a subwoofer before. Have you?

The last thing I'll address is you calling me ignorant. You said,"weather he takes my advise or not or reads someone else". It should have read whether and advice, not weather and advise. Probably not a good idea to slaughter the spelling and grammar when you're calling someone out....

You make me laugh dude. I won't get into a pissing match with you and clutter the OPs threa any further. And referring to past posts I've made that say anything about "safely" overpowering equipment, I'm sure I didn't recommend sending 3X the suggested power at a sub. As far as my statement of sending extra heat to the sub with 1000W of clean power, its true. Likely the sub will not enjoy all that extra heat and will not know what to do with it. It will take it for awhile, sure, it's a Sundown. Will it take it forever? Not likely. I'm glad you like pushing your equipment and seeing where it fails. I'm more impressed when I see a 10 year old sub still kicking because it's been responsibly cared for. Butt-hurt? No. I've never thermally killed a subwoofer before. Have you?

The last thing I'll address is you calling me ignorant. You said,"weather he takes my advise or not or reads someone else". It should have read whether and advice, not weather and advise. Probably not a good idea to slaughter the spelling and grammar when you're calling someone out....

thermal no

mechanical yes.. i blame skar lol

as for spelling.. auto correct and far fingers dont work on my phone sorry im on mobile 90% of the time..but glad you got my point... funny how everyone resorts to grammar when backed into a corner (not saying you are.. just in general, people with no more knowledge on a subject tend to derive the subject towards a new direction that they feel more comfortable dealing with)

Again, haha. You're right you backed me into a corner. Good help you're giving to the OP also. Who knows which "advise" he will take...

You talk about world records as well. They are set by men(and women) who have been in the game awhile and know what they're doing. Power handling on subs is there for a reason, period. Whether you choose to believe it's a test to see what they are REALLY rated at, that's up to you. The sub was rated at that power because it's what it can handle and it's ALL the power it needs to function as it was designed.

Again, haha. You're right you backed me into a corner. Good help you're giving to the OP also. Who knows which "advise" he will take...

You talk about world records as well. They are set by men(and women) who have been in the game awhile and know what they're doing. Power handling on subs is there for a reason, period. Whether you choose to believe it's a test to see what they are REALLY rated at, that's up to you. The sub was rated at that power because it's what it can handle and it's ALL the power it needs to function as it was designed.

Read my advice I gave him... and just for you im uploading a pic of my stupid swype autospell shit lol

and reread about "backing you in a corner" its a figure of speech lol

edit here is a SS of my phone it does it with all of the their/there/they're's and whether and weather along with a few others

13z8kd1.png

Archived