Can a capacitor ruin a alternator?

I installed a older used RF 1 farad capacitor in my 02 passat. About one month later the 90amp alternator when out. I ordered a AutoZone Valeo 120amp reman. It whined when i put it in but i could live with it. About a month later it went bad again. So, i put yet another one in. This one didnt whine however. Today Workshop Alternator came on the dash but went back out. Im almost certain that this one is on its way out too.

So my questions are:

Can a capacitor over work a alternator if its bad?

If not, what could cause my alternators to keep going bad?

What is the average price for a HO alternator?

Guest DC Power Kyle

Autozone doesn't make the greatest alternators. On top of it barely being able to keep up with keeping your car charged you have a stereo system. Autozone is all re manufactured Chinese crap. You just have too much demand most likely on your autozone alternator

I don't think your capacitor is to blame here.

But something really isn't right if you are going through alternators this fast.

Can I get a rundown of everything you have in your car? Wiring, batts, amps, etc

Autozone doesn't make the greatest alternators. On top of it barely being able to keep up with keeping your car charged you have a stereo system. Autozone is all re manufactured Chinese crap. You just have too much demand most likely on your autozone alternator

damn ninja i just did a lil research and found that out :P

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

a cap if not properly charged will drain your system

in most installs caps are useless and only provide SHORT burst of output but then need a recharge which drains your electrical if your alternator cant recharge it as fast as your drawing/draining it then yes it can

price of a high output alt depends on vehicle and amps you want

id say between 300-400 for a good 200-250a alt

ive most likely been ninja'd so fuck it lol

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

But something really isn't right if you are going through alternators this fast.

Can I get a rundown of everything you have in your car? Wiring, batts, amps, etc

Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate RCAS, Phoenix Gold line driver, 1 Hifonics Brutus 1200, 1 farad RF capacitor, 1 Cadence 10'' bandpass sub, Pioneer avh-x5500bhs, pac steering wheel module, factory monsoon door speaker amp, module for aftermarket radio to use the monsoon.

I could get specifics on all of these if need be just not tonight.

A capacitor holds so LITTLE energy compared to any battery or alternator there is NO possibility that one could damage any alternator and/or battery.

Bad alternators would come from another heavy current draw or faulty alternators from the start.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Guest DC Power Kyle

VW alternators are more than 200-300 or you're looking in the wrong places. If you want something that will bolt up with no modifications to any brackets or your harness do some research and find the right company for it. You definitely get what you pay for with an alternator.

Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate RCAS, Phoenix Gold line driver, 1 Hifonics Brutus 1200, 1 farad RF capacitor, 1 Cadence 10'' bandpass sub, Pioneer avh-x5500bhs, pac steering wheel module, factory monsoon door speaker amp, module for aftermarket radio to use the monsoon.

I could get specifics on all of these if need be just not tonight.

Yeah dude there is NO WAY you should be burning through alts. What does your voltage look like? If it's constantly low, it could point to either a bad battery or a discharged battery(parasitic drain).

Have you done your big 3? Tested for power draw with the car off?

Archived