chassis ground sparks when i connect it..

I've NEVER hooked an amp up with my power wire still live. I know it's not a lot of juice, but I very much ENJOY my body's ability to produce sperm :P

I've always disconnected my in-line fuse before disconnecting our reconnecting. It's strange to me to see as many forum members that DON'T do the same.

*Side note ^^^^sperm joke is for fun. I realize this isn't 440 3 phase shit we are taking about here...

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

DIdnt read a single post.

Is it a cable from a amp?

Its the caps discharging. A lil snap, dont sweat it. IF you not shit out with it... you have a issue.

You should have read a few, haha. He's melting wire Kyle, not just small sparkage

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

should see the spark get if i touch the leads on my rack too. it may be only 12 volt but its wrench melting , ask me how i know.

Lol I got a zap from -48 volts at work. The bank was floating around -56 to -57 didn't feel very good.
Lol I am an electrician in the coast guard. I had a high voltage 400hz (yes I said hertz not volts lol) power supply (working on a helicopter start rectifier) arc right in my face... the dumb bitch I was working with said she has secured power, so when I hit all the terminals with a shorting probe before I stuck my hands in there (lots of caps in there) it instantly blew the tip off the probe, and melted the teeth off the clamp on the other end. Brightest light I have ever seen... turns out she had not secured the power, so instead of just discharging the caps (would have been a small spark if anything), I grounded out the 400hz side of the power supply lol. Almost punched a girl that day.
Power is not something to play with shit will kill you. I work for telecom for the alaska railroad so the highest we can mess with is -48 anything higher then that we are aloud to touch (stupid union rule).

I would be worried if you didn't get a little spark

I get a spark with my sundown amp and I did with my audiopoop amp lol

It's normal to get a spark, but if you're melting wire and plastic in the process I would think that you either need to upgrade your wire, or somehow you are directly grounding your power wire :shrug:

You can hook up amps with no sparks..... get a 12 volt 2 prong light bulb I use ones for dome light if you hook up power first when yourr about to hook up the ground touch one prong of the light to the ground of the amp then touch the ground wire to the other prong of the light the light will light up when the light gos out the caps are charge then hook up your wire tada no spark...... I use big amps that give off big sparks so I really like the light method plus it keeps your terminals really clean with no black burn marks from the spark

Thanks for that Alpine.... so basically what's going on is there is resistance to filling up the caps in the light bulb, which doesn't create cause a lot of current and sparks?

I never thought of that method... will any 12v LED work?

Archived