Sundown Audio

I was with Mike Singer when I was having issues mounting my alt and he suggested a 2:1 ratio for 4th order bandpasses

from the research and experience i have, it would all depend on the application of what you are trying to do. the ratio basically just changes the gain factor of the box at a particular frequency. that's why you'll hear a 3:1 is more peaky than an 2:1. 2:1 is used for most general sub applications.

Edit: the reason is for the frequency response of the box tends to be somewhat the smoothest.

Edited by Bradprobert
[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:2223]

CAFForumSig_zps376518ed.jpg?t=1364077982

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

ya im looking at a 2to1 because of space

what version sa-8 do you have?

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

For a true full SQ setup I would shy away from any bandpass enclosures unless you plan on having other drivers that will also play the same frequency range. The reason for this is that due to the nature of how bandpasses work they do a great job at reproducing the fundamental frequencies but tend to filter out the harmonics of notes. It is the harmonics of specific instruments that give them their realism and specific sound signature. If you lose these you will lose alot of detail in your low end....just thought I would throw that out there for your consideration. If you arent dead set on a 4th, consider going another direction...

Team NorthWestSPL

Smaller ratios should have a flatter response too. I have been reading up on 4ths somewhat....but never have the space for one or do I want to take the time to try several till I get what I want.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

^True but the harmonics issue can still be there and then with the lower gain factor of a small ratio they aren't really any louder than they would be in a regular ported or sealed alignment so it kinda defeats the purpose lol

Edited by mrd6
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

Team NorthWestSPL

For a true full SQ setup I would shy away from any bandpass enclosures unless you plan on having other drivers that will also play the same frequency range. The reason for this is that due to the nature of how bandpasses work they do a great job at reproducing the fundamental frequencies but tend to filter out the harmonics of notes. It is the harmonics of specific instruments that give them their realism and specific sound signature. If you lose these you will lose alot of detail in your low end....just thought I would throw that out there for your consideration. If you arent dead set on a 4th, consider going another direction...

thank you for pointing this out. i have never dealt with that much sq and am glad you said something.

I'm pretty sure what he was trying to say was it wouldnt be worth the effort of doing a 4th. because all the advantages a 4th has will be taken away when you design it for an sq setup. And if you add other woofers its just that more expensive and complicated to work with.

edit grammer

Edited by Bradprobert