Sundown Audio

Quick question about amps

mjn

hey guys, I just had a quick question I wanted to ask.

in a couple of weeks from now I'll be in the market for a new amp. I have 2 12" pioneers that I bought from walmart (blasphemy, I know) right now. I obviously plan on upgrading those as soon as I get my plans/money straight.

this is probably a dumb question, but can I buy an amp that will not only work with my current two subs, but also will work fine when i decide to upgrade my subs to a much better setup? I guess the question comes down to this: are there amps that are built for different levels of quality subs, or can I buy a top notch amp and have it power my shitty subs and not have to worry about too much power, compatability, etc.?

i73h4D1.jpg

Beat Producer | http://mjNichols.net

Its really not a question of build quality its more of subwoofers compatible impedance with the amplifier you choose to use and the power handing of the subs.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

• 3 weeks later...

You can also look at wiring at a higher ohm load on the pioneer subs, and when you get the better subs buy them based on wiring at lower ohm loads. Many good amps will put out under 1k watts at 4ohm but around 3k at 1ohm.

You can also look at wiring at a higher ohm load on the pioneer subs, and when you get the better subs buy them based on wiring at lower ohm loads. Many good amps will put out under 1k watts at 4ohm but around 3k at 1ohm.

This guy right here. Exactly what I was gonna say, depending on what your current Pioneers' resistances are (let's assume 2ohm each) you can wire them up to 4 ohms for now on a good quality amp that'll push their RMS at 4 ohms, and have plenty of headroom for wiring up your future beefier subs at a 1ohm load for instance

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Archived