Doing It Right

I have a pretty moddest system compared to most here but that doesn't mean i don't want it to maximize it's potential.

I m going to have a 550w rms Alpine pushing a Sundown SA-8.

This is what my power system will look like when the dust settles

pardon the drawn by a 2 year old look LOL

crudewiring_zpsc4783a67.jpg

Gonna do the big three in 0 ga and wire the XP750 from the primary in 4 ga.

I want to keep the cap cause it has a voltage meter on it and it shouldn't impede (stereo pun LOL) anything.

Everything looks good right?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Looks legit !!!

Though if the front battery is a toxic lead battery it can harm itself, and/or the agm batteries. It's not good to mix chemistries(agm,Gell, wet, li ion, etc) it's okay to mix brands as long as all are agm :)

Looks fine to me. As a matter of personal preference: I've always made my front-back runs directly from the alt

Looks legit !!!

Though if the front battery is a toxic lead battery it can harm itself, and/or the agm batteries. It's not good to mix chemistries(agm,Gell, wet, li ion, etc) it's okay to mix brands as long as all are agm :)

Ok, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you for the recomendation.

Looks fine to me. As a matter of personal preference: I've always made my front-back runs directly from the alt

I really like this idea! gonna have to throw that in the idea pool, thank you.

Is it nessessary to have an isolator between the batteries for my application?

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

Unless you play with the car off to the point that your batteries are dead, you have no need for an isolator. It's just another expense and a part to fail.

Just make sure you fuse as close as you can to BOTH batteries ;)

I was not sure where to put the fuse on the big 3 thank you, i was just going to put it in the middle between alt. and battery.

Hoping the other fuse holder i have for the 2nd battery will mount on the outside of the case i got for the battery (512)

More questions . . . . this round, fuses and where and how many.

back to the high quality CAD drawing of mine.

crudewiringfusing_zpsa9a9fdb4.jpg

The yellow boxes are where i plan to install fuses, i would like to avoid the green one i have indicated.

Questions

1. The Big 3/0 kit i bought comes with a 250a fuse, is that to much for a 170a alternator?

2. What amp rating should i have,

a ) coming out from the primary to the secondary?

b ) going into the secondary from the primary?

The amp is fused for 60 itself so the final inline before the amp (after the cap) will be the same if i even need that one, again i need advice on this one.

Beefy was the intent, but is it overkill? i don't want that, just enough to operate safely.

Edit - In regards to fusing i mean.

The 4 guage kit (Wirez) i picked up for this comes with a 100A fuse, should i just fuse it at the same (100A) at the other end tieing into the secondary?

I might be installing the amp in a tight spot, heat might be an issue it has temp protection and is fused for 60A would i be wrong in fusing after the cap with a lesser amperage or is 60A fine??

Archived