Sundown Audio

Quick question when running either 2500 or 3500 @ .5 ohms what size fuse do you guys use, now manufactures say 250amp fuse for 1ohm loading on one and 350amp the other. what i want to know is if running at .5 ohms on either amp would or should you increase your fuse size slightly and if so what have you guys done.

Don't run at .5 ohms..........just buy a bigger amp if you want more power and follow the manufactures suggestions.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Don't run at .5 ohms..........just buy a bigger amp if you want more power and follow the manufactures suggestions.

90% chance you'll be just fine OP. Especially with a sundown amp; if I was to choose any amp to run at half ohm it would be a sundown product.

And actually they rate their fuses with the max amperage the amp can draw for a short period of time and being at a low ohm load is something they take into account while rating these amps. Even though they don't warranty or recommend it.

Edited by Nikitaaa

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw

No doubt sundown has great amps that can take ohm loads like that, but with efficiency losses from 1 ohm to .5 ohms. Why would anyone TRY to run .5 ohms unless they are in competition vehicles and have a purpose to do so... Such as an amp# limit, power limit or space limit.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

Start with the original fuse rating and go from there.

My question to you: Do you have the electrical at .5? You should plan on the amp drawing double the power at .5 as it does at 1

No doubt sundown has great amps that can take ohm loads like that, but with efficiency losses from 1 ohm to .5 ohms. Why would anyone TRY to run .5 ohms unless they are in competition vehicles and have a purpose to do so... Such as an amp# limit, power limit or space limit.

Biggest reason I can think of to run .5 ohms is budget lol. More power for same $$, as long as the amp (and your electrical) can handle it, it seems like a win-win situation.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

How does the same fuse work for .5 ohms? I feel like I'm missign something here. I knwo you are not doubling your power but even if your 2500 makes 3000w at .5ohm, thats a 250 or larger draw on 12v with 100% efficiency right??

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

How does the same fuse work for .5 ohms? I feel like I'm missign something here. I knwo you are not doubling your power but even if your 2500 makes 3000w at .5ohm, thats a 250 or larger draw on 12v with 100% efficiency right??

With 0 box rise.

That's why I said start out with the original fuse and go from there

Usually they rate the fuse sizes on the maximum amount of power the amp can produce safely without protect issues. Also, just because the fuse is rated for "250" or "300" doesn't mean the fuse can't handle much more amperage when it's produced in short bursts. A 3k amp at .5 or even .25 amp will have trouble cooking a 300 amper just because usually if the amp isn't crazy underrated it won't pull much more than 300 amps continuously. Maybe for short bursts it will peak higher but at that point the fuse should be able to withstand it because it's not for longer prods of time so the fuse won't heat up as fast.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class
155db outlaw