Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

what is a bad port ratio?


Recommended Posts

Posted

What is a good example to avoid?

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Posted

Your way overthinking this box build man. Just make it around 3.5 cubes net volume and 14sq in port or close to it do the port the height of your box and whatever width it needs to be to get your desired port area. I think a few threads ago you had what looked like a 5:1 ratio of port height to width which is not that bad and should do fine.

Posted

Height/Width > 9 or Width/Height > 9 would be bad ratios below 6:1 work nice, ratio 1:1 is best (a square port area).

And I very much agree with the comment above, you are overthinking this a lot, I have stated this many times, MDF is cheap enough for anyone to afford doing a few boxes. It's not like you are dead if your first box doesn't fit your taste.

Posted

Thanks guys. This here will be my third box, the last was a major failure. I'v been waiting to put this xl to work. I'm also trying to learn Torres for future builds.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Posted

Height/Width > 9 or Width/Height > 9 would be bad ratios below 6:1 work nice, ratio 1:1 is best (a square port area).

And I very much agree with the comment above, you are overthinking this a lot, I have stated this many times, MDF is cheap enough for anyone to afford doing a few boxes. It's not like you are dead if your first box doesn't fit your taste.

did you just say a ratio of 1 square per square cube is the best ratio for a ported box

Posted

Height/Width > 9 or Width/Height > 9 would be bad ratios below 6:1 work nice, ratio 1:1 is best (a square port area).

And I very much agree with the comment above, you are overthinking this a lot, I have stated this many times, MDF is cheap enough for anyone to afford doing a few boxes. It's not like you are dead if your first box doesn't fit your taste.

did you just say a ratio of 1 square per square cube is the best ratio for a ported box

I mean Height/Width = 1 will have the least surface resistance for a given port area and length and all other variables being equal, only a round port will have less than that. It's not the same as saying that the port will be the most efficient since there are other variables to consider.

Posted

Height/Width > 9 or Width/Height > 9 would be bad ratios below 6:1 work nice, ratio 1:1 is best (a square port area).

And I very much agree with the comment above, you are overthinking this a lot, I have stated this many times, MDF is cheap enough for anyone to afford doing a few boxes. It's not like you are dead if your first box doesn't fit your taste.

did you just say a ratio of 1 square per square cube is the best ratio for a ported box

I mean Height/Width = 1 will have the least surface resistance for a given port area and length and all other variables being equal, only a round port will have less than that. It's not the same as saying that the port will be the most efficient since there are other variables to consider.

ummm so youre saying a port that is 10 x 10 will have less restance than a port that is 20x5.............

Posted

ummm so youre saying a port that is 10 x 10 will have less restance than a port that is 20x5.............

Less surface resistance only. If you have turns or flares or else in one port and not in the other, then that's different.

Posted

ummm so youre saying a port that is 10 x 10 will have less restance than a port that is 20x5.............

Less surface resistance only. If you have turns or flares or else in one port and not in the other, then that's different.

ok explain to me how the same amount of port area can have different surface resistance

Posted

Height/Width > 9 or Width/Height > 9 would be bad ratios below 6:1 work nice, ratio 1:1 is best (a square port area).

And I very much agree with the comment above, you are overthinking this a lot, I have stated this many times, MDF is cheap enough for anyone to afford doing a few boxes. It's not like you are dead if your first box doesn't fit your taste.

A few boxes not a problem. Doing my wall over a few times to get it right, yeah I don't think so. Lol. About 500 in material every time. Lol.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1854 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...