Second Skin Audio

First serious/sucessful box build

Well, Ive made a few boxes before, but nothing i felt was worthy of posting till now. I picked up these subs for 160 bucks from someone on CL, (fosgate t112d4) and they came in a crappy prefab box which wasnt gonna fly with me, so i decided to take a few days to design and build my own. Ended up being 3.9 cubes after displacement (subs and bracing) with a 4" port @ 33hz. I had heard of it strengthening the box, so i used fiberglass resin inside the box, then had plenty left over so i did the outside too. I think it came out pretty good, considering the tools i had to work with. Anyway, i decided to share a few pictures i took while building.20130518_171255.jpg

20130518_181445.jpg

20130518_212901.jpg

20130519_125646.jpg

20130519_154950.jpg

Havent done much finish work yet.. i got impatient and just wanted to get it finished so i could hear it blow away the prefab box. Let me know what you all think.

Not a bad box design. My only suggestion would be more resin on the inside of the box (thick and glass smooth) because that particle board is a little weak. Other than that nice work!

Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166486-alexs-02-intrepid-budget-build/

2 12" SKAR Audio VVXv2 d4 @ 1ohm

vvme qa-d1500

Pioneer Head unit deh-8400bh

2 Kenwood KFC-1693PS 3-Way 6.5"

2 stock sail speakers/tweeters (Infinity premium stock)

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" (upgraded from a factory 2.75" speaker or something weird like that dremeled to fit)

2 Sony Xplod XS-R6944 6" x 9" 4-Way's

u might as well just paint the box inside and out u need to add layers of mat to actually make it stronger

Current Setup: , 2 Fi sp4 18s in a big ass flat wall tuned to 23hz, Pioneer 80prs, 2 Digital Designs m3bs strapped @ 2 ohms, Banda ICE2000, Crescendo 800.4, 4 PRV 10MR1000s,4 Mclaren MLT300 Super Tweeters Kinetik 2000 XS Power 2700 & XS Power 3100s.

Not a bad box design. My only suggestion would be more resin on the inside of the box (thick and glass smooth) because that particle board is a little weak. Other than that nice work!

Yeah i would have preferred to use MDF, but the lumberyard i work at doesnt stock any. Plus i really didint want to pay for it so i just cut up some broken pieces of particleboard and used those since it was free haha.

Function over form, until it starts breaking :)

Looks good, imo its better to test out with cheap stuff before you drop $$$ on MDF or Birch and don't like how it sounds.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Yeah i would have preferred to use MDF, but the lumberyard i work at doesnt stock any. Plus i really didint want to pay for it so i just cut up some broken pieces of particleboard and used those since it was free haha.

Yep i know what ya mean. Free stuff is always good stuff. But hell yeah definitely better than a prefab!

Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166486-alexs-02-intrepid-budget-build/

2 12" SKAR Audio VVXv2 d4 @ 1ohm

vvme qa-d1500

Pioneer Head unit deh-8400bh

2 Kenwood KFC-1693PS 3-Way 6.5"

2 stock sail speakers/tweeters (Infinity premium stock)

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" (upgraded from a factory 2.75" speaker or something weird like that dremeled to fit)

2 Sony Xplod XS-R6944 6" x 9" 4-Way's

Archived