Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Any bad in narrow slot port?


srool

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

I'm plannyng a 1.5 cubic feet box with large port area.

I want to use the max hight and depth dimensions in order to leave some space in the trunk.

I'm trying to build slot port that would be equal to 6" aeroport. besides port area that will remain the same, does the sape itself so important?

I'm getting a 13.77" x 2.16" port, should I be cencern because of it being narrow?

I know that round ones are more efficient, so as I'm getting far and far from the round shape towards long one- should I increase the port area in order to preserve the result/score as it was with the 6" aeroport?

Thanks!

Posted

13.77" x 2.16" no problem. You are going to have to a hard time to cut beyond 1/16" precision so make dimensions that you can actually follow easily.

Posted

Round ports are more efficient, so you usually want more port area when using a slot.

You don't run into trouble with height to width ratios for slots until you get to ~ 9:1.

Is this a music box? Because 29sq in of slot in 1.5 cubes is going to need to be like 40" long for anything that's going to play music. That's a long ass port in 1.5 cubes.

Posted

The box target is for a bit of show: It needs to play music (doesn't have to be full tilt) and needs to score also high numbers, not for competition or something but it defenately need to be loud for single 12" although it gives up bandwidth.

Tuning freq would be 40hz, so it would be ok with 30" long port or so I think.

Btw, the subwoofer is 12" DC Audio Level 5, the current amp is Celestra DA2K (2100RMS@1 ohm) and gonna be replaced soon with DC 5.0K. the car is 2006 mazda 3 (5dr).

Assuming the 6" aeroport was good enouth for the combination of music and peak, would 35 sq.in would keep the peak/bandwidth ratio while going slot port?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 900 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...