Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

How to fix a shifted top plate


Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

Okay, so I finished up this motor recently, and figured I'd share how I did it!

Last time you seen it, she looked like this.

100_4695.jpg

So, I had took the top plate to the machine shop while it was off, to be "modified", and to get drilled and taped for the new frame. (Going from square 18 to round 15)
Got that back, thy did it right! But I also had them cut the center of the frame, so it would sit flush on the top plate. The nailed it all, here it is right after I picked it up.

100_4938.jpg

100_4939.jpg

So next, I started work on the top plate.

100_4981.jpg

Gonna use the 4 studs to secure the top plate, along with glue, so that this doesn't happen again.
Here is what I came up with.

100_4993.jpg

100_5005.jpg

100_5006.jpg

First I threaded the studs

100_5010.jpg

Then the holes where they come thru the top plate. But first, cleaning, sanding, and primer.

100_5068.jpg

Then, I tapped the holes

100_5076.jpg

100_5078.jpg

I will now be able to use these

100_5083-1.jpg

Like this

100_5134.jpg

More on the next post....


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Posted

So now after a little more work, I'm ready to put this baby back together.

100_5147.jpg

I made my shims out of 3" PVC. They worked GREAT!

Here was the test fit, before putting down glue. I used brand new 60mm bolts to let the plate back down.

100_5142.jpg

And here it is, in place, glued. I am inserting the fasteners.

100_5148.jpg

100_5149.jpg

Then, after letting it set up for a few days, I started the finishing touches. To remove(cover) all "holes" other than the ones needed. Make it look clean.

100_5150.jpg

100_5151.jpg

100_5152.jpg

In primer, ready for paint

100_5155.jpg

Paint used is

100_5157.jpg

100_5158.jpg

First coat is a light one

100_5156.jpg

After a few more coats, and some clear

100_5162.jpg

And there you go, ready to be mounted to its new frame!

100_5167.jpg

The frame, also w fresh paint

100_5168.jpg

I tried to get a straight shot of the gap, but it's hard to do!

100_5174.jpg

And that is that, motor is fixed!

But just in case you are curious, I will paint both the top and bottom plate, but at separate times.
The bottom plate will be last for obvious reasons!

If you want to see more, keep your eyes peeled for a full build thread I will be putting up here very soon, specifically for this sub.

And thanks for lookin', and again thanks to all who helped! (Special thanks to Rusty)


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Posted

looks great.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
Posted

Thanks guys, I figured I'd share this just in case anyone has the same problem, and needs to know how to fix it.

I think it w be a good one to pin to the top of this section, to keep it easy to find!


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Posted

Nice man! Looks good! I really like that metalic, that looks really sharp! Are the subs going to be inverted in the box to show off that nice painted azz?

Funny how the people who have a louder system than you will usually give you a compliment about your setup because they know how much blood, sweat, time, and money you put into it. The people who criticize or try and one up you....have a p.o.s to no system at all and will tell you all about this "other" guys system! Saddley I'm sure if I meet this "other" guy...he will probably tell me he thinks your just as annoying as I think you are!

I'm not compensating, just proud of fabricating!

My build log: 10k center console with 4 DC Audio XL 10's powered by 2 DC Audio 5.0k amps 5 xs batteries and dual DC Power 300xps alts

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169404-goodvibez-04-dmax-10k-center-console-w4-xl-10s-custom-5ksit-plays/page-19

Posted

Nice man! Looks good! I really like that metalic, that looks really sharp! Are the subs going to be inverted in the box to show off that nice painted azz?

Thanks bro!

Yeah, sorta. This sub is #1 of 1, it will be used by itself. But yes I will show it off, either running inverted, or plexi windows. I'll probably do a nice ported box w a big plexi window.

After I finish this one, and see that everything is working properly, I'll start on the 4 for my PT. They will be a little different, but mostly still the same. They will probably be white instead of red, and have carbon fiber cones. And the motors on them will remain chrome. At least that's the plan at the moment.

And the top two will be inverted, the bottom two regular, not only to show off both sides of the subs, but because that is the only way they will fit in m wall.


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Posted

Nice job bro! I like the paint you used on the plate ! Looks clean

Thanks man, I appreciate that. Clean is the goal.

I have been workin' on it, should have a build log up for it in the next few days.

I'll link it to this thread, in case anyone else wants to see a full custom Solo X 15 build, from start to finish!


Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback


Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's


Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 941 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...