Purplehaze Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 Okay, so I am on my way to building some custom subs. But yesterday, after splitting the motor from the frame, the top plate somehow shifted on me. Here are some pics.This was right after splitting the two, it had not shifted yet.Then just a few mins later while cleaning the top plate, I noticed the shift. I have no idea what caused it.So now what do I do? I tried to shift it back, no luck. It just wants to shift to the other side. I appreciate any help in this matter!EDIT:Okay so big thanks to "cat man" for the link that shows how to fix this. Scroll down to see how it gets done, and ends up like this!EDIT #2: Changed the title of the thread. Just thought it may be useful to a lot of people, so I suggest that maybe it should be pinned. Hope that don't offend anyone, I'm honestly not trying to get attention, I'll do that with the build thread . I just want to share what I thought was useful information, and allow it to be easily accessible. Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Dwn4BassAlan Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 You need to put some sort of "shim" all the way around it. I would put some nice dense plastic tabs around the open side, shift it so it rests on the other tabs then insert tabs on the other side, it should center if you're lucky. But getting it to stay there is the part I'm a little worried about. I'm not sure what cause it to shift so I can't tell how inclined it will be to shift again. If you get it centered and then get the basket screwed onto it thought, it should stay down. Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
Dwn4BassAlan Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 and that's a very interesting looking magnet center pole your motor has there. Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
n8ball2013 Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 PSI may be able to fix it. You dont want to know what the manufacturer would charge to fix it. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
Purplehaze Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 You need to put some sort of "shim" all the way around it. I would put some nice dense plastic tabs around the open side, shift it so it rests on the other tabs then insert tabs on the other side, it should center if you're lucky. But getting it to stay there is the part I'm a little worried about. I'm not sure what cause it to shift so I can't tell how inclined it will be to shift again. If you get it centered and then get the basket screwed onto it thought, it should stay down. Thanks, yeah I'm not sure what made it shift like that either. It didn't fall or get hit, it just shifted, pretty much on it's own. But yeah that is exactly what I was thinking, after I get it centered I can use the 4 "post" sticking out as studs, I'll thread them then secure with nuts and lock washers. and that's a very interesting looking magnet center pole your motor has there. That is the Kicker Solo X 18 motor, with it's "special vented pole". They expected this design to work miracles, which it would not. But it isn't all bad, the biggest part they messed up was the size of the gap. Had they made it a little bit bigger, could have used a better coil, and actually got the motors potential out of it. But your right, it does look pretty wild. PSI may be able to fix it. You dont want to know what the manufacturer would charge to fix it. Thanks. Yeah I wouldn't even bother asking Kicker. I was thinking about letting PSi build my subs anyway, so I'll probably let them deal with it, if I can't get it that is. Thanks guys! Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Dwn4BassAlan Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 Lol, oh kicker, so much potential, yet the half-assery ruins it haha Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620 Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol When Alan uses big words I don't understand It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out. Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room. I missed Alan. RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.
Purplehaze Posted June 9, 2013 Author Report Posted June 9, 2013 Lol, oh kicker, so much potential, yet the half-assery ruins it haha Haha no doubt! So does anyone else know any tricks to make this easier? Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
bighossf150 Posted June 9, 2013 Report Posted June 9, 2013 just send it to psi Used to have a loud truck 2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq 2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s
will77530 Posted June 9, 2013 Report Posted June 9, 2013 demagnetize then realign then remagnetize lol, i dont know of any other ways unfortunately
Purplehaze Posted June 9, 2013 Author Report Posted June 9, 2013 Okay thanks guys, I think I got this. I'm gonna try some 3" PVC cut into pieces or "shims" to get it straight, then use the 4 stainless post as studs with lock nuts, I really think this will work. I believe I'm just gonna use this as an extra motor now, and still try to find three more. This motor is from one of the older Solo x 18's, and while they are the same motor, I am just scared of this one now. not only has it been abused for many years, but now this. I may just fix and build it for my old ladies car, and to have a spare sub for mine, if it is still good... IDK. But I am gonna fix it. Ill post pics either way it works out. Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.