Question about Fleece

So i bought some fleece from wal mart. I think this is the same thing i bought.

edit: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fleece-Solid-Fabric-Dark-Grey/21672050?tv2=true&

I taped off my "A" pillars with about 4 layers of tape, and used spray adhesive to glue the fleece to the tape so it would take the shape of the pillar. I don't have "A" pillar covers anymore, mine were so brittle they crumbled.

The problem i have with this stuff is it seems the fiberglass wont soak into it as good as it should. Once the resin cured and i pulled the piece down it was dry on the back side. I put a lot of resin in there too. Just seemed to layer up on the surface no matter how much i tried to work it in.

So, my question is, should i use something different? Maybe just get some cotton and just add layers and build it up? Maybe alternate cotton and chop mat? Any advice you guys have would be appreciated. I just don't want to go through a ton of resin to get this to work. Thanks

fleece eats up resin. use a thin material I learned the hardway too.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

fleece eats up resin. use a thin material I learned the hardway too.

Thats kind of what i thought. Use a thinner material and do layers. Is that what you are saying? I've gone through almost a quart of sunflash. So the cost is a bit of an issue if i make any more mistakes.

exactly its just to maintain your shape. Use actually fiberglass cloth or matt for strength. You can even use floral foam to get your shape and then glass over that.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

It sounds like you are trying to do layers of fleece or whatever material you use...generally the fleece and resin is just used to hold the shape and then actual glass is used for the strength, should only need 1 layer of fleece. Unless you are doing something else I dont know about?

Team NorthWestSPL

I might actually try the floral foam. I tried using fiberglass mat but i think i should have used the cloth instead. The stuff i used was stringy and just pulled and made a mess. I think the cloth is more of a woven style right?

It sounds like you are trying to do layers of fleece or whatever material you use...generally the fleece and resin is just used to hold the shape and then actual glass is used for the strength, should only need 1 layer of fleece. Unless you are doing something else I dont know about?

Yeah, i tried to use the fleece as a base layer, so i was doing it wrong. It's just tough to get what i need to stay in place and be strong when i remove it. As you know "A" pillars are an inverted vertical surface. So it is really hard to work on.

use the foam and then sand it to your shape. then glass over it. if you are getting sag thats the way to go. You can only stretch shit so tight and then when you add weight you get a sag.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Archived