Second Skin Audio

Fi Q Vs Kicker L7 - Need Help On What To Buy

I'm currently running a 15" 2006 style L7 in 5.5 cubes, ported. Its tuned really low with percision ports so guarenteed it's the best SQ you've heard out of an L7 ported... I'm powering it with a bxi1206d. (so a lil over 1000 clean rms). And i'm running it in a blazer with about 2 layers of dynamat everywhere, and more on headliner. It hits just under 143, peaking at 37hz or so (on termlab).

SOO.... i've had this system for almost a year and even though it sounds orgasmic, i need to switch things up and try something new becasue I love building audio systems and i can never keep one for more than 6 months usually without getting bored.

I WILL be going with fi, because fi fucking pwns.

I really wanted a pair of 15's sealed, because i think it would be a very unique sound in a dynamatted car and it would look more symetrical than one sub (personal opinion), but i can't afford to power 2000 watts or buy 2 BL's or anything.

I think i'm set on getting one fi Q. They seem to be the best fi sub for sealed boxes (if i decide to do sealed). And their Xmax is 27mm, compared to all the other subs which is 21mm.... this means it will really rail out the sub 40hz notes i think. I CAN'T decide on getting one 15" or one 18". I know 18" technically should not have lesser sound quality than a 15, but then again why aren't more ppl getting them?

Another question I had is how much of an upgrade in SPL and or SQ will I get if i went with a fully loaded fi Q 18" compared to my kicker. (if i used same amp, i will prolly upgrade a bit if i get the Q). Say i sealed the Q, would it not be as loud as my L7 is now ported.???

Sorry this is so long and i appreciate any advise, i have no experience wtih fi and I know all you guys do.

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

I'm currently running a 15" 2006 style L7 in 5.5 cubes, ported. Its tuned really low with percision ports so guarenteed it's the best SQ you've heard out of an L7 ported... I'm powering it with a bxi1206d. (so a lil over 1000 clean rms). And i'm running it in a blazer with about 2 layers of dynamat everywhere, and more on headliner. It hits just under 143, peaking at 37hz or so (on termlab).

SOO.... i've had this system for almost a year and even though it sounds orgasmic, i need to switch things up and try something new becasue I love building audio systems and i can never keep one for more than 6 months usually without getting bored.

I WILL be going with fi, because fi fucking pwns.

I really wanted a pair of 15's sealed, because i think it would be a very unique sound in a dynamatted car and it would look more symetrical than one sub (personal opinion), but i can't afford to power 2000 watts or buy 2 BL's or anything.

I think i'm set on getting one fi Q. They seem to be the best fi sub for sealed boxes (if i decide to do sealed). And their Xmax is 27mm, compared to all the other subs which is 21mm.... this means it will really rail out the sub 40hz notes i think. I CAN'T decide on getting one 15" or one 18". I know 18" technically should not have lesser sound quality than a 15, but then again why aren't more ppl getting them?

Another question I had is how much of an upgrade in SPL and or SQ will I get if i went with a fully loaded fi Q 18" compared to my kicker. (if i used same amp, i will prolly upgrade a bit if i get the Q). Say i sealed the Q, would it not be as loud as my L7 is now ported.???

Sorry this is so long and i appreciate any advise, i have no experience wtih fi and I know all you guys do.

I would suggest the Fi Q of those 2 subs. And a sub is bigger doesnt mean it has less sound quality. it all come down to the install my friend. putting an 18 in a box meant for a 15 will yield you bad sound quality. if you can fit an 18, get an 18, if you can only fit a 15, go with that.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

I would suggest the Fi Q of those 2 subs. And a sub is bigger doesnt mean it has less sound quality. it all come down to the install my friend. putting an 18 in a box meant for a 15 will yield you bad sound quality. if you can fit an 18, get an 18, if you can only fit a 15, go with that.

haha, yeah after going from a 12 to a 15, i'll never go back unless space or looks is an issue... So i'll go with one 18"

What kinda of box ideas do you guys have??? Seeing as how my 15" L7 was ALMOST as loud as i would ever want, I don't think it is necessary to go ported with the 18.... (i will make an spl box for comps though).... I think it should get pretty loud sealed, and that way i can really take advantage of the lower frequncies. I will be using 3/4" mdf, double baffle, and a light coat of resin on the insides, and maybe some thick ccord soaked in resign like groundpouder for bracing, or maybe steel bracing. But what size...

and WHY won't anyone buy my fricken setup right now!!!??? $550 for new condition L7 15", hifonics 1206d, custom crx style box (the ports alone cost $60)..... shit, i work at best buy and someone is lucky as hell to walk out with our shittiest system for under $600

Edited by KickerAudio21

do you not have the room to go ported. i do like sealed boxes but ported gives it that extra umph! the q is an awsome sub and will sound good in pritty much anything.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

ok, i ordered a fully loaded 18" fi Q.... I don't feel like spending money on percision ports this time, so what kinda box dimensions should i use to make a ported box that can get the most out of the really low 30 or so hz. range.... I don't wanna make a 55hz SPL machine, i want some sq

ok, i ordered a fully loaded 18" fi Q.... I don't feel like spending money on percision ports this time, so what kinda box dimensions should i use to make a ported box that can get the most out of the really low 30 or so hz. range.... I don't wanna make a 55hz SPL machine, i want some sq

tune that bish to 32 Hz with 16 square inches of port per cube.

so if you have 6 cubes have like 130 square inches.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg