Sundown Audio

Am I Going To Kill My Amp?

TITUS1985

Like Facekicker said, even though the specs say 4v doesn't mean that's what it actually is. It's probably close to that at the highest clean volume that your deck will put out, but without actually using a DD1 or Oscope to find out your headunit's highest clean volume level you won't be able to match it properly.

In my personal opinion though since you don't have access to either you might be better off just making sure that your amp doesn't get hot, and if it does start to get warm then turn the gain down slightly.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

and I guess I should ask this ... Should I sell my Audison Amp and get the Hertz HDP 1 and the Hertz HDP 4 for my system? I just really liked the idea of having an (all-in-one) amp. Also has anyone had experience with those Hertz amps? Like are they "clean sounding" for digital? My amp right now is A/B for the speakers and D for the sub.

Thanks again for all the advice and knowledge.

Setting gains right is important and easy to figure out by looking around this site.

To your question about "will your higher power handling speakers put too much stress on the amp?" The answer is no. A speaker's power handling will never affect how an amp performs. You cannot overwork and amp by putting "too much" on its inputs (as long as your impedance is high enough). An amp simply presents an AC voltage at its terminals and then has the ability to back that voltage with current. It will never try to put out more power than it is capable of to meet the "demands of a speaker."

Team NorthWestSPL

Alright thanks. I guess I'll stick with my amp then because if I understand right if the gains are set correctly then it will put out the RMS power rated (as long as voltage is there) and my Hertz speakers won't put a strain on my amp. If anything the speakers would be the ones that have the strain (if any) because the amp wouldn't give them the power there rated at?

Archived