Sundown Audio

Am I Going To Kill My Amp?

TITUS1985

I have a Audison Voce 5.1k and I'm currently running Hertz Hi Energy 3 ways up front off the B channel (140 watts @ 4 ohm) Hertz Hi Energy 2 ways in the rear A channel (about 60 watts @ 4 ohm) and 2 12" Hi Energy Subwoofers wired down to 2 ohm (1000 watts off the C channel). I'm running all my speakers passive as well. My question is am I putting to much of a strain on my amplifier and going to shorten the life of it???? I bought a 5 channel because I was a little tight on space; and I figured I wouldn't cheap out and that I would just get one of the best 5 channel amps to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Are you running the amplifier below it's rated ohm load? Do you have gains set properly along with adequate electrical?

I've got the speakers wired at 4 ohm and the subs at 2 ohm all stable on the amp. I just know that the real use of this amp is to run tweeters off the A channel. Small mid bass or component off the B channel and then like a 10 inch sub. I just didn't know if by hooking all my speakers up to it is too much and its just putting a strain on it. Don't really want to ruin my amp since its the most important thing in a stereo lol also gains are set to just over half on all channels and I have 4 gauge power and ground running to it.

I've got the speakers wired at 4 ohm and the subs at 2 ohm all stable on the amp. I just know that the real use of this amp is to run tweeters off the A channel. Small mid bass or component off the B channel and then like a 10 inch sub. I just didn't know if by hooking all my speakers up to it is too much and its just putting a strain on it. Don't really want to ruin my amp since its the most important thing in a stereo lol also gains are set to just over half on all channels and I have 4 gauge power and ground running to it.

Doesn't matter if your gain is set to half, full, three-quarters or over 9000. The gain setting is meant to be matched to the voltage your source (headunit) is putting out. Get it on an Oscope or a DD1 to check and make sure that you don't have your gains set too high.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I've heard that about gain but never really understood how it all worked. So do you mean by matching voltage on the head unit you mean the pre outs? Because my head unit has 4 volt pre out and on my amp the gain goes from 1 to 5 and says input from .3 to 5 volt RMS. in general is that what I'm suppose to match? And also I don't have a DD1 or a Oscope and not sure where to get my hands on either of them.

I've heard that about gain but never really understood how it all worked. So do you mean by matching voltage on the head unit you mean the pre outs? Because my head unit has 4 volt pre out and on my amp the gain goes from 1 to 5 and says input from .3 to 5 volt RMS. in general is that what I'm suppose to match? And also I don't have a DD1 or a Oscope and not sure where to get my hands on either of them.

That's the level matching he mentioned, however, while it should be simple 4=4 if you want to get down to it, you can't rely on either the deck putting out a true 4v or that setting on the dial being appropriate for 4v. Scope or DD-1 really is your best option. If you're looking for the easy way to set it and pray it's right without a scope then turn that dial to approx 4 (or just below) and go for it.

That's the level matching he mentioned, however, while it should be simple 4=4 if you want to get down to it, you can't rely on either the deck putting out a true 4v or that setting on the dial being appropriate for 4v. Scope or DD-1 really is your best option. If you're looking for the easy way to set it and pray it's right without a scope then turn that dial to approx 4 (or just below) and go for it.

Not many people's ear-o-matic work. Might sound the best but what's it truly doing? And then to go further in depth of what someone above said... You can't rely on the head unit doing a 4V output. Why? Every source is different. It won't put out 4V for cd, radio, etc. Just doesn't. So it's best to tune it with whatever source you'll use most.

Sheena = pedobear

Archived