Second Skin Audio

Audiophile SQ box requirement for Alpine SWS-10D2

Yayyyyy, 2 SQ guys to the rescue. I too, agree with Bear up there. I think the bigger enclosure would help with low end a bunch which is why I had suggested it. And Cablguy's setup was why I suggested an isobsaric loading of the subs. I figured you had enough room, and since you were planning to go sealed anyways,I figured the 4th might be fun to try. I think compound loaded might have more of that SQ flair you're after either way. You can go low tuned like Cablguy if your mids can dip low enough.

The good thing about compound loading it's, you only need half the airspace. So airspace for 4 subs rather than 8.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

The trick to my enclosure is that even though it is 4 10s, we modeled the enclosure as if it was for a pair of 12s ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Maybe something similar could be done for our original poster.Design a box for 4 12s and that would allow a little more low end with the extra little airspace. If you've got double the motor force, I'd say you would have to have the full RMS going to these things either to make them perform.

The thing about these enclosures is that you HAVE TO HAVE very efficient, dynamic, and powerfull enough ampplifiers to make these enclosures perform the way you need them to ... Just your ordinary "efficient" class d amplifiers will not cut it. Sorry to say, but the truth. most of those amplifiers made to day is built to be loud and make big power up in the higher frquiencies to make your system ook good on a meter of blow girlies hair and skirts up ... Looks cool, but just not my kind of system ...

Guess thats the main reason I would rather have class A/B 2 channel amplifiers being used as sub woofer amplifiers ... sub bass is music too when uned correctly ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

The OP seems familiar with SQ products and always to have been around awhile to see some of the good ole days of A/B goodness.

On a side note, I've got my Fosgate T1000bd at 2 ohms doing my iso and the enclosure is built pretty well I'd say. Mine has a good depth, accuracy and range ;)

My thought on doing 8 tens sealed was; all my favorite systems bass SQ "Sound" in my own and others vehicles over the years have always been sealed. The reason for 8 (Not 2 or 4) is I still want a solid hard hit when I turn it up for jamming hard to. Obviously this will not be an SQ sound as far as balanced with my CDTs but still a good time for the 5% or less of the time I really wanna romp on the bass hard.

The last system I had with real SQ bass I liked in my own vehicle was back in the mid 90s when I ran 2 Zapco Z600s (About 1800 watts RMS) on 6 JL 12 W6s sealed with a pound of poly fill in each separate sealed box and it was real sweet and accurate when i had the level set up right and matched to my mids in highs, So I'm shooting for a similar sound but using these 8 Alpine 10s now and more efficient class D power.

I'm considering running 2 Alpine PDX M12s (2400 watts) on all 8 of them. OR possibly 2 Rockford 1500 bdcp's 3000 watts on paper (but 3600-4000 watts actual)

So do you guys like the new class D stuff on bass for SQ or do you think I need to stick with A/B ? I'd rather try "D" because of the effeciency and to minimize my electrical system upgrade....

The biggest area volume wise I'm willing to surrender to these 8 Alpine tens is about 6 cubes or ".7 per sub" but I'd rather do the Alpine website reccommended .5 per sub or 4 cube total. I wonder how much of a difference it really would be?

Back in the old days before I was married, had a daughter, responsibilities, ect... I wouldnt mind taking the time to build 3 or 4 boxes to play with the sound but now I just wanna do this once if possible and hopefully be happy with it and move on. Know what I mean?

If the cats over at Speaker works recommended that specific enclosure I would go with that. I just rechecked the website and saw that they sell cdt comp. sets now. I heard Speaker works and had hoped you were running some usd horns. :P If you feel they can be in a smaller enclosure give it a try. It might create a small peak in freq. response and might not have the low freq. extension you would like but the cone area and cabin gain could make up for that. I would build a a few boxes and see which you like best.

I used to have a set of BC300s in a system I did for fun a while back but have since sold them and moved on. I was never a big fan of the asthetic appearance of the waveguides although Harry (Reese's cup!) Kimura always used to beat me at the IASCA shows running his :( ..His car sounded great.

I guess If I do the .7 cubes per sub sealed and its not low enough I might try an iso ported or sealed box like was mentioned here then I could get some deeper bass response and in likely a smaller box or about same size.

Anybody know what box size (I dont have a program) and port dia and length I would need to iso port 8 of them (4 each) in push/pull at 24 HZ. Think it would still be as close to as tight of a sound as not porting them in a normal sealed box like I'm considereing?

If you want a ported SQ alognment do it on the tighter side of the spec and tune low so that the group delay around tuning is not noticeable., besides that type r's are not audiophile grade subs so it will stay "SQ".

If you want a ported SQ alognment do it on the tighter side of the spec and tune low so that the group delay around tuning is not noticeable., besides that type r's are not audiophile grade subs so it will stay "SQ".

I'm not using R's. I have the S's. And I have heard them, they sound great for SQ.

Ok, anyways it is possible to build a SQ ported box despite people advising against, there are high end ported home audio speakers selling for tens of thousands of USD or even more.

Archived