im thinking about buying this car to replace my grand am after fixing it up for a while. i need to know if it is the head gaskets, vc gaskets, piston rings, or something else wrong with it. I also want to know if its worth buying this car and if i would need to do a swap. thank you!

this is the car-http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/3889437471.html

these are the e-mails back and forth

me:hello, I am interested in you nissan maxima with a bad headgasket. What size engine is in the car? I would like to price out parts for it and see if i could make it work for me. Thankyou for your time!

him:its 3.0 6 cyclinder

me:Do you know if it is the front, back, or both gaskets?

him:my son said both because all the plugs had oil on them

me:Was the oil on the white part of the plugs or the threads/electrodes? does the car smoke when it runs?

him: No on white part of the plugs but it is on the threads it quit running just smoked before it quit running

Your looking at a car with a known major engine problem....... walk away.

This is what the owners are disclosing, what else is going on with it? For the amount of money needed to make the repair I would add that to my car fund money and just find a better vehicle.

And to answer your initial question, oil on the plug could be from anyone of the reasons you listed or a combination of multiple issues.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Unless you plan on keeping to car for like 5 years, it's probably not worth all the trouble. The engine probably needs rings and while it's that far apart, essentially a full rebuild. When it's all said and done you could have up to $1000 in the motor and still have other problems like suspension, sensors, brakes, ect. IMO it's not worth it unless

You plan on keep the car for a long time.

You should ask him if the motor even turns over. He said it stopped running, to me that would mean the motor seized up. I however am not him so it could just be the way he worded it. And like Rolex said it could be one of either of those causing oil on the plug. The motor (the way described) needs to be pulled, gutted and rebuilt. So you're looking at somewhere in the range of $1,000+ if done yourself using all OEM parts.

Dont buy it you for sure would need to rebuild the whole engine and that car is not worth that kind of investment .

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived