Second Skin Audio

Single 12" Zv3 Box

Hey guys, i been working on a couple box designs for my Sundown Z v.3 12" box. i have been trying different sizes and this seems to best suit the 12" in my opinion. I would like to hear yours too.

Also, would 45's and bracing be needed or better off for this enclosure? Let me know if everything looks good so i can start building this box as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Torres18ft332Hz_zpse280afb6.png[/url]

frontview_zps8b6fffc6.png[/url]

Topview_zps3a76f72a.png[/url]

The only problem I see is the width of the port. Unless you have professional cutting tools you're probably not going to get exactly 2.3". Id stick to quarter or half inch increments. What amp will you be using to power the sub? Power being applied is a major factor in box size. And yes a little bracing maybe a 45 in the left corner would be nice. You can always just glass the internals of the box around the corners/edges. It'll add a lot of strength to the box. But other than that if fed the right amount of power it should be a pretty good design.

The only problem I see is the width of the port. Unless you have professional cutting tools you're probably not going to get exactly 2.3". Id stick to quarter or half inch increments. What amp will you be using to power the sub? Power being applied is a major factor in box size. And yes a little bracing maybe a 45 in the left corner would be nice. You can always just glass the internals of the box around the corners/edges. It'll add a lot of strength to the box. But other than that if fed the right amount of power it should be a pretty good design.

Thanks for the response, and yea that makes sense about the inch increments and the amp i plan to get is a 2k watt rms. Its between the Crescendo Bc2000 (new), the Soundqubed Q2200.1 (new) or the Saz1500v2 (refurbished but like "new" with a year warranty). Any suggestions? They are all within the same price range and i plan on getting it soon but for now i have a JL audio 500/1 laying around just to get it moving.

This is my first box build so i'm not too experienced with the 45's and especially glassing as i have never touched resin. If anything i can just order some of the SMD Sunflash, seems to do the trick but price may be a factor. and thanks for the compliment about my design.

Bump. Would like a little more advice.I am gonna push the sub with a clean 2k. if needed to design a new box i will. Im working with 15" height max 34" width 20" depth. Sundown recommends 2 ft^3. Want this sub to sound good but also get low and loud thats why i was shooting for 1.8ft^3 @ 32 Hz Thanks in advance.

I personally like the Soundqubed amps. But thats just me. As for 45s if this is your first box then glassing will work just fine. And the SMD sun flash is still a fiberglass resin the only difference is that it takes sunlight to be able to cure it. Fiberglassing is super simple when you're doing it inside a box like this just for strength. All you do is mix the resin with the correct amount of hardener and lay it on top of some fiberglass. Then let it cure. Its super simple. But overall if you use 1/4" or 1/2" increments instead of the 2.3" then the box looks fine to me especially with the power youll be providing it. Just make sure you have electrical to do so

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pioneerchuck for the help. I guess fiberglass isnt so hard after all.. well just the inside of a box lol

I also changed my design so if anyone can recheck it and help my out i would appreciate it.

Just Restating I am Going to run this of a clean 2k. Need something with good efficiency because all i have is a XS D1200 upfront with big 3, I have not decided on amp, most likely a Soundqubed 2200.1 any suggestions?

Here are some pics of my design. Shooting for 1.75ft^3 @ 33 Hz. Any Advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Also how much space should the motor be cleared by from the port length? My motor depth on my sub is 8.75" and the Box is 9.25" depth. Is .5" enough clearance?

Thanks again

Torres17533Hz_zpsf4e4ff58.png

71713_zpse5369f04.png

I always like to leave a couple inches or more in between the motor and the closest wall. Gives it a little breathing room. As for 2k clean on your electrical, unless you've got an upgraded HO alt you're going to drop to low voltage pretty quick if you upgrade to a 2200 on that little battery and a factory alt. I would suggest upgrading alt or buying a 2nd battery to give your system a little bit more of a reserve to lessen the drop.

I always like to leave a couple inches or more in between the motor and the closest wall. Gives it a little breathing room. As for 2k clean on your electrical, unless you've got an upgraded HO alt you're going to drop to low voltage pretty quick if you upgrade to a 2200 on that little battery and a factory alt. I would suggest upgrading alt or buying a 2nd battery to give your system a little bit more of a reserve to lessen the drop.

Ya i was worried about the space issue of the motor.. I was thinking if i could just add a surround of MDF on the outside of the box so it will add .75" clearance and still not change any specs inside the box. I'll probaly just make a new design with more depth though

And ya i know the Stock Alt is going to be a problem i have an Optima Redtop just sitting around so if still good i will probaly just throw that in for my 2nd battery and see from there.

Thanks again

If you added a spacer it would change the specs a tad but not enough to be noticeable. And if you could get maybe another inch or 2 in depth that would be perfect. You could do the box designed ^^ but it might choke the motor a little. So its up to what you can fit. And a nice redtop for a second battery would be nice. But you'll still get some noticeable voltage drop.

Archived