Second Skin Audio

help my find an 18 in sub

What I find funny, and this has been hilarious to read, is that through all this crap, the original question was never answered. I'm curious as to what that answer is. Why do you think it was the 2.5" coil and not something else as to why the sub failed? Can you answer logically? If not just say no. It's fine, no-one is going to bash you for saying, that's what I thought it was anyway. Instead of being so factual about it, then someone asking you about it, then flying off the handle like you did. Didn't seem warranted to me. And I could give a shit about either one of you. But I would like to know what the logical answer is behind you saying it was the coil and not something else.

I don't think it's an unreasonable question.

Big Dee..while Hugh might have some questionable posts there are more then a few others on here who do it daily too..nothing that bad. Why so butthurt? ..and taking personal shots because you can't handle being aired out is some top level douchebaggery...must feel damn proud. You said yourself you don't know alot so why the fuck argue...wayy to go and high fucking five on post bombing the op thread with repeated shit.

sounds like you just have a problem with hugh before this lol.

op maybe a mod will clean this for you. My vote goes with the Dayton stuff..i was trying to point you that way earlier but was having trouble linking on mobile...dayton has two 18s..not sure wich one was linked but the lower power one has 300w power handling rms with a 3"coil

ok so you guys attack the only person who's actuly ran the sub and I'm a doucbag? I'm 37 years old and I'm not a dumb ass when it comes to car audio. Atleast I made post stating the facts of how my subs performed . Not one other person did that. So how on gods green earth y'all felt the need to try an discredit my opinion I have no clue. I don't see how anything y'all are saying hold water compared to real experience with that sub?

Well feel free to express your opinion and experience but it seemed like you lost your shit there for a second. Were just trying to figure out why. I think that was what Chis was eluding to.
I'm sick of that asshole and his bullshit. There's no point in what he did . I said what I thought I was attacked by people that hasent even ran that sub with all kids of shit. Kinda pointless actions if you ask me. I've seen thread after thread with him doing similar stuff to others no to mention posting racist bullshit just cause he can. I ask him to prove what he said an he came back with a weak ass reason why he couldn't . That guy just lives to cause this stuff every chance he can. And others follow behind him

I will agree with you on one point. If he says he does up to 144 installs (based on 2-3 every weekend) a year and has thousands of pictures he needs to validate that statement; regardless of this thread. That would fall under Steve's rule "If you have to lie to kick it here..." Not saying you don't Hugh but that is a bold statement. You can't make a comment like that without proof. As far as any other problems with him I don't know or have any.

OP I gave my recommendation. If you have any questions ask away. I have had the Dayton subs sealed, ported, walled, and infinite baffle'd and will answer any questions you might have. :)

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

What I find funny, and this has been hilarious to read, is that through all this crap, the original question was never answered. I'm curious as to what that answer is. Why do you think it was the 2.5" coil and not something else as to why the sub failed? Can you answer logically? If not just say no. It's fine, no-one is going to bash you for saying, that's what I thought it was anyway. Instead of being so factual about it, then someone asking you about it, then flying off the handle like you did. Didn't seem warranted to me. And I could give a shit about either one of you. But I would like to know what the logical answer is behind you saying it was the coil and not something else. I've gave my answer lol dam read please. Should I have tab forensic test or something? Tear it open for you? The subs never failed an I never said they did. And it's been said over an over for him to try Dayton 18s. So stop stirring the pot. I sold the subs before they failed ! I'm sorry I like to listen to more than a few songs before things get warm an stanky. I'm not sure what eles to say lol.

I don't think it's an unreasonable question.

fail lol . It's my believe my issues with that sub had everything to do with the weight of the cone versus the size of the coil. One reason I think this is I've ran an still run there other subs with out this issue. I'm not stupid I've done enough of this shit to know if it was something I did wrong. I just don't assume it's the size of the coil first before checking other things out. At low volumes the subs ok but unless you never turn up your system then I wouldn't recommend it .

Why fail? What was the intention of that?

So you only ran that one single 18, and it failed, and you never tried it again? Cause if not, maybe you just got a faulty sub. I'm not calling you stupid either, I don't know why you go to automatic defense when the question is asked. I was just trying to find the answer to the question. The question isn't that difficult and you're getting frustrated and defensive about it. Why? Or maybe that was just to Hugh, which should've been taken somewhere other than this thread if you have an issue about him. But that's beside the point.

I'm not doubting what you've done either, except we all make errors, and maybe it was something you overlooked. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I'm not calling you out or anything like that. Again I could give two shits. But I am trying to learn. So if I had a sub that maybe has a faulty coil or a coil that might not be big enough for a sub, how would I check that out. You seem to know, so I'm asking for the logical way to do so. I am in fact an amateur at the technical part of subs, so I'd love to know more.

I would also argue, again an amateur, that you could put a sub in a cardboard box and not turn it up and get a decent response, so a problem would obviously be detected after turning it up. But it could be a bunch of things, if my understanding is correct. For example, out of phase, enclosure size, signal cleanliness, etc. None of which you'll really see until volume has been raised.

Please help me understand.

Why fail? What was the intention of that?

So you only ran that one single 18, and it failed, and you never tried it again? Cause if not, maybe you just got a faulty sub. I'm not calling you stupid either, I don't know why you go to automatic defense when the question is asked. I was just trying to find the answer to the question. The question isn't that difficult and you're getting frustrated and defensive about it. Why? Or maybe that was just to Hugh, which should've been taken somewhere other than this thread if you have an issue about him. But that's beside the point.

I'm not doubting what you've done either, except we all make errors, and maybe it was something you overlooked. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I'm not calling you out or anything like that. Again I could give two shits. But I am trying to learn. So if I had a sub that maybe has a faulty coil or a coil that might not be big enough for a sub, how would I check that out. You seem to know, so I'm asking for the logical way to do so. I am in fact an amateur at the technical part of subs, so I'd love to know more.

I would also argue, again an amateur, that you could put a sub in a cardboard box and not turn it up and get a decent response, so a problem would obviously be detected after turning it up. But it could be a bunch of things, if my understanding is correct. For example, out of phase, enclosure size, signal cleanliness, etc. None of which you'll really see until volume has been raised.

Please help me understand.

i said fail cause I screwed the post up. And I had two of the 18s. I don't know how eles better to explane it honestly. I've posted what I think enough. To end this I will say it's my falt an that those subs are fine. I'm the one who's installed them incorrectly resulting in poor performance. I guess there other size subs are idiot proof is how I can run same power with out same issues. Does that work?

Wait, you're showing and saying you had 2 of the 18's and one of them failed, or both failed? Sorry without going back through the original posts, I don't recall you saying two subs, but just one. Clarify please?

And you're not really explaining anything as to how the coils aren't big enough and how you came to that conclusion logically. You're just saying, in a round about way, that I tried them they didn't work, I don't think it was my installation, but the sub/subs that failed. Am I wrong?

I refuse to respond any more on this thread. Obviously you guys can't read but want to jump in an talk smack. You should just go but the subs and see and then you can post what you think and be picked apart for your thoughts.

Sorry if this posts weird, the update makes it hard to quote right. But basically, Big DEE said the coil is too small, then he was questioned why he thought that, then he went postal

To me 2 1/2 inch coil is not big enough for a 18inch sub. I won't buy one again

To me 2 1/2 inch coil is not big enough for a 18inch sub. I won't buy one again

we are talking about running 400 watts here. under what premise should a 2.5" coil be a deal breaker at 400 watts? im am very interested in an informed response.
ok you go buy one if you don't like what I'm saying and fucking prove me wrong! It's not the coil that's the issue but the cone. I've got 3 of obsidians 12s all the can take triple the power there rated for. But the 18s do not perform well with a coil that small . You my friend have issues! I've seen all your dumb ass post an topics for years . So I doubt people will listen to much you have to say. I've ran these subs recently so I think I know what I'm saying. Like I said buy one and see for your self if you doubt what I'm telling you!

The coil over heats trying to push an 18 inch cone if I have to spell that out for you. Go buy one and see

Archived